Upper Hron Valley - Angelic?

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 15 , May 14, 2010
      > there was NOTHING in that song that was from Horehronie

      Agreed, Ben. But with Horehronie (or at least a tune from a song about the village of Helpa) being featured in Taiwan:

      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43CqzhudbSo>

      ... the people from Horehronie do have some consolation.

      > Now, for something completely different

      Yes, so a query about something else that's completely different.

      The authors of Horehronie inserted a line in what they say is the "angelic tongue/language." It is performed by another person from eastern Slovakia (scroll down to the comments at the bottom):

      <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/skprogram/horehronielyrics.html>

      In the video, the "angelic tongue" starts at about 1'28" into the song, half-way through, and goes on for about 20":

      <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/skprogram/skprogram.html>

      ... when the backing vocalist appears in close-up. Part of the verse is printed in the translation of the lyrics.

      Is there a recognized set of words/vocabulary of the "angelic tongue/language"? That is to say, have the apparent words in the verse been picked up from anywhere? Do they have a more broadly recognized meaning that would be understood by an informed person as what the authors say the verse means? Or did they make them and their meaning up?

      Martin
    • cerrunos1@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 15 , May 14, 2010
        Dear Martin-
        Once upon a time, I was interested in the occult- Alistaire Crowley, Gerald Gardner, OTOn etc...
        There is an Angelic Script, and it is really a modified form of Hebrew. I have seen it written, and it seems (in all honesty) to be VERY modifiable. From what I have seen, SPEAKING angelic is a loose interpretation of the script itself, and seems to be far from codified. I can't speak or write it with any authority though...
        Ben

        From: "votrubam" <votrubam@...>
        Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 18:49:43
        To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [Slovak-World] Upper Hron Valley - Angelic?

        Message 3 of 15 , May 14, 2010
          > VERY modifiable. From what I have seen, SPEAKING angelic
          > is a loose interpretation of the script itself

          Thanks a lot, Ben. I've been able to find enough info with the help of that. There's also more about what the authors and the interpreter say about the verse:

          <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/skprogram/horehronielyrics.html>

          There was a heated discussion about it in Slovakia -- some people heard a vulgar word in the angelic passage. The authors have tried to gloss it over with a nationalistic veneer to accommodate Slotaic souls, hmmm... like your newly discovered one. But the singer says it's devotional.

          Martin
        • Maryann Sivak
          Message 4 of 15 , May 14, 2010
            Dear Friends:

            Five-week Rusyn Sing Along
            with Jerry Jumba. Thursday sessions starting May 20, 2010

            Please join us for this
            5-week session starting on Thursday, May 2010 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at
            our Cultural Center at 915 Dickson Street in Munhall. The fee is only $5.00/session. Song sheets will be provided.

            Learn to sing the Rusyn songs
            that our ancestors loved so much. Most of these songs are very colorful and humorous. This kind of
            creative expression was a means of relieving stress and forgetting the hardship
            in their lives.

            This will be taught by the
            well-known singer and musician
            Jerry Jumba. A graduate of the
            Duquesne University Department of Music, Jerry spent most of his life collecting
            and translating Rusyn songs. He
            has also painstakingly translated most of them into English.

            For further information
            please call 412-567-3077or e-mail
            Maryann Sivak at cfa@....

          • Ben Sorensen
            Message 5 of 15 , May 14, 2010
              I have been borrrrrnnnnn agaaaaaaiiiin!!!! In the Church of Jan Slota!!!! :-)

              Actually, Kristina is pretty... angelic.  I too heard about the dirty part- but no one could answer just who is Denis! (If you don't hear it- and neither did I at first- just google the song with the word "vulgarizmus" and use google translator.... Though I haven't tried the translator, the phrase should be simple enough for it to handle!)

              I would like to throw out one serious disclaimer though.  I am very interested in ancient, esoteric topics but I have never practised anything condoned by A.C. and the OTO.  I am more interested by alchemy and ancient building guilds and their teaching morality in allegory... and how symbolism finds its way through different religions intact. I don't want any of you to think that I am some type of new-age freak.....
              Ben

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 15 , May 15, 2010
                > heard about the dirty part- but no one could answer just who
                > is Denis!

                The main problem with the claims about Kristina's language (I don't hear it either, Ben), which no post I saw realized, is that the supposed vulgarity is not sung by Kristina. That passage is in the "angelic tongue" by the 47-year-old folk and religious singer, which shows the claims as substantially confused. It seems not too many people actually hear it. Horehronie is played on Slovak Radio constantly, which would not be the case if there really were an obvious vulgarity. One teacher played it to a group of 18 students. Only 3 "heard" anything vulgar. The teacher said they were the 3 punks in the group.

                Martin
              • William C. Wormuth
                Message 7 of 15 , May 15, 2010
                  BEN?    :o) :o) :o),  Let me know when you are released from the Blaznivy dom.

                  Vilko

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 15, 2010
                    sorry Ben, I was responding to this:
                    I have been borrrrrnnnnn agaaaaaaiiiin!!!! In the Church of Jan
                    Slota!!!! :-)

                    Vilo

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 16, 2010
                      I heard it as soon as I was looking for it, but then that is the case with singing- making melodies and words fit together sometimes creates sonic oddities- ESPECIALLY when you don't speak the language. I know what I wanted to hear- and only then did I find it. Is it there? Martin, I am with you: doubt it!

                      I have never met anyone conversing in Angelic in Slovakia or in the USA. Now if I did, that would not be a good sign... I don't want to meet any angels, my wife is enough.
                      Ben

                      From: "votrubam" <votrubam@...>
                      Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 11:54:26
                      To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

                      > heard about the dirty part- but no one could answer just who
                      > is Denis!

                      The main problem with the claims about Kristina's language (I don't hear it either, Ben), which no post I saw realized, is that the supposed vulgarity is not sung by Kristina. That passage is in the "angelic tongue" by the 47-year-old folk and religious singer, which shows the claims as substantially confused. It seems not too many people actually hear it. Horehronie is played on Slovak Radio constantly, which would not be the case if there really were an obvious vulgarity. One teacher played it to a group of 18 students. Only 3 "heard" anything vulgar. The teacher said they were the 3 punks in the group.

                    • Susan Durisek
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 16, 2010
                        Reminds me of the time we played Beetles backwards... hidden messages, mysteries. Something to amuse the masses. Smiles... Zuzka

                        From: "votrubam" <votrubam@...>
                        Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 11:54:26
                        To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

                        > heard about the dirty part- but no one could answer just who
                        > is Denis!

                        The main problem with the claims about Kristina's language (I don't hear it either, Ben), which no post I saw realized, is that the supposed vulgarity is not sung by Kristina. That passage is in the "angelic tongue" by the 47-year-old folk and religious singer, which shows the claims as substantially confused. It seems not too many people actually hear it. Horehronie is played on Slovak Radio constantly, which would not be the case if there really were an obvious vulgarity. One teacher played it to a group of 18 students. Only 3 "heard" anything vulgar. The teacher said they were the 3 punks in the group.

                      • Joe Armata

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 16, 2010
                            Recent English interviewer and Slovak translator with Kristina.

                            http://www.esctoday.com/news/read/15718

                            Vilo

                            Message 13 of 15 , May 17, 2010
                              Ben has more authority than any one else on this subject... unless HF has a super top-secret reading room in the LoC dedicated to this script.

                              From: Joe Armata <armata@...>

                              To: "Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com" <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 17, 2010
                                I don't care what you believe as long as you keep playing your pipe.

                                From: Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...>

                                To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                                From: votrubam <votrubam@...>

                                > VERY modifiable. From what I have seen, SPEAKING angelic

                                > is a loose interpretation of the script itself

                                Thanks a lot, Ben. I've been able to find enough info with the help of that. There's also more about what the authors and the interpreter say about the verse:

                                <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/skprogram/horehronielyrics.html>

                                There was a heated discussion about it in Slovakia -- some people heard a vulgar word in the angelic passage. The authors have tried to gloss it over with a nationalistic veneer to accommodate Slotaic souls, hmmm... like your newly discovered one. But the singer says it's devotional.

                              • John Magyari
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 7, 2010
                                  I'd like to get in contact with Jerry Jumba,
                                  does anyone know how I can reach him?

                                  Please forward my email if you wish to him.

                                  thanks,
                                  john magyari