Re: Mola Media, superior and inferior

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 11 , May 9, 2010
      Well, that's what I get for haring off after a new idea... good thing
      I have sensible folks to bring me back to reality!

      I can't speak to a usage other than classical Latin, Martin; the
      department in which I was educated frowned upon forays into non-
      classical times and places. (I did get away with taking a medieval
      Latin class; they tolerated one professor specializing in that area.)
      A pity, because now I'd really find the later uses of Latin much more
      useful.

      But anyway, in classical usage, it was a grain mill, although when I
      double-checked it in the dictionaries, there was one classical usage
      cited with regard to olives. (For oil?? I know nothing about
      processing olives.)

      > Why impose the extended use of the word _mill_ peculiar to English
      > onto Central Europe? No Central European language conflates those
      > establishments the way English does.

      Ah, this is why we need and appreciate you, Martin. We don't always
      recognize what is peculiar to us, and what is not. Always something
      new to learn!

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...