RE: [Slovak-World] Meaning of Mola Media, superior and inferior in the context of a molitor/miller.

  • Plichta
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2010
      Thomas,

      Frequently locations near each other are known as "UPPER" and "LOWER" or
      "OLD" and "NEW". Is it possible that the words you are looking at have
      several meanings?

      I can expect that the words for UPPER and LOWER might be similar to INFERIOR
      and SUPERIOR. I recommend you check the secondary meanings of the words.

      Frank

      _____

      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2010
        Frank, good advice, thanks.
        I went back to Latin, since that's the primary language of the documents and found on the FamilySearch Latin Genealogical Word List, the following:

        superior upper
        inferior lower
        mola mill
        molitor miller

        I would assume in this context that media is mid/middle. I will have to see and hope there is a record somewhere of these 3 mills as I am only aware of one in existence today. It's also interesting that from one year to the next, my ancestor transferred from one mill to another and even more so is that the town is so small I find it hard to believe it could have supported 3 mills!
        Thanks again for your advice!

        Thomas

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Plichta" <plichta@...> wrote:

        > Thomas,
        >

        > Frequently locations near each other are known as "UPPER" and "LOWER" or
        > "OLD" and "NEW". Is it possible that the words you are looking at have
        > several meanings?
        >

        > I can expect that the words for UPPER and LOWER might be similar to INFERIOR
        > and SUPERIOR. I recommend you check the secondary meanings of the words.
        >
        > Frank
        >

        > _____

      • Plichta
        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2010
          Thomas,

          Latin for MIDDLE is MEDIUS.

          The Latin word MEDIA is a proper noun for the city in BOEOTIA. There is
          also a city in LYCIA by that same name.

          My latin dictionary is an old one, printed in 1855. But since the language
          is a dead language, I doubt the word has chanded.

          Enjoy,

          Frank

          _____

          --- In Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 6 , May 7, 2010
            Hold the presses!! I just looked up Slovenska' Ves (in the Spis~ region, in NE Slovakia) and found that it is called Totfalu in Hungarian, but there's no mention of any mill(s). The main industries there are farming, weaving, and forestry. The entry right before Slovenska' Ves is Slovenska' Nova' Ves (near Trnava, in western Slovakia), one of whose Hungarian names is Totujfalu (the other is Vedrodtotujfalu). In this village, they have a stream/river, the Gidra. Unfortunately, there's no mention at all of any mills. The main industries there are noted as agriculture and later factories in Trnava, Bratislava, and Ci'fer.

            All opinions my own

          • Julie Michutka
            Message 5 of 6 , May 7, 2010
              Like Slovak, Latin declines its nouns and adjectives; in other words,
              the word ending changes to reflect gender, number (singular vs
              plural), and case (subject vs object of a verb, etc.)

              MediA is an adjective in the feminine singular nominative form; MediUS
              is masculine singular nominative. Mola, being a feminine singular
              noun, requires an adjective with a feminine singular ending. Hence,
              mediA mola.

              Good discussion--it reminds me that an elusive ancestor appeared in
              one record at a something-Mola location, and this gives me a new idea
              for looking for the location on my detailed map.

              Julie Michutka
              jmm@...