Meaning of Mola Media, superior and inferior in the context of a molitor/miller.

  • wanderingdalton
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2010
      Hello everyone, I've got a question I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me answer. I've tried researching this, but it appears I need some expert help!

      I have ancestors who lived in Slovenska Ves, Slovakia, aka Totfalu and Windischdorf and apparently in at least one nearby town.
      In the FHC films, I have noted my ancestors occupation was stated as `Molitor' (miller) and his address was noted as "Mola Media", "Mola Superior" and I noted another probable relative had the address Mola Inferior". There were also periods interspersed, where his address was simply written as a number, as was (and is today) the common address indication for the town/village due to the small size. I should note it appears at least one of the middle records indicates he had a different profession than Molitor which indicated in records before and after, but I'm still deciphering the writing/meaning of that one.

      My question is, does anyone know what was intended by these various addresses denoted by medio, inferior or superior? Were there different mills on the same river? Was the note referring to the fact he was living in a secondary (media) millers house, and than later in a master (superior) miller accomodations?
      Thank you!
      Thomas
    • Plichta
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2010
        Thomas,

        Frequently locations near each other are known as "UPPER" and "LOWER" or
        "OLD" and "NEW". Is it possible that the words you are looking at have
        several meanings?

        I can expect that the words for UPPER and LOWER might be similar to INFERIOR
        and SUPERIOR. I recommend you check the secondary meanings of the words.

        Frank

        _____

        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2010
          Frank, good advice, thanks.
          I went back to Latin, since that's the primary language of the documents and found on the FamilySearch Latin Genealogical Word List, the following:

          superior upper
          inferior lower
          mola mill
          molitor miller

          I would assume in this context that media is mid/middle. I will have to see and hope there is a record somewhere of these 3 mills as I am only aware of one in existence today. It's also interesting that from one year to the next, my ancestor transferred from one mill to another and even more so is that the town is so small I find it hard to believe it could have supported 3 mills!
          Thanks again for your advice!

          Thomas

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Plichta" <plichta@...> wrote:

          > Thomas,
          >

          > Frequently locations near each other are known as "UPPER" and "LOWER" or
          > "OLD" and "NEW". Is it possible that the words you are looking at have
          > several meanings?
          >

          > I can expect that the words for UPPER and LOWER might be similar to INFERIOR
          > and SUPERIOR. I recommend you check the secondary meanings of the words.
          >
          > Frank
          >

          > _____

        • Plichta
          Message 4 of 6 , May 7, 2010
            Thomas,

            Latin for MIDDLE is MEDIUS.

            The Latin word MEDIA is a proper noun for the city in BOEOTIA. There is
            also a city in LYCIA by that same name.

            My latin dictionary is an old one, printed in 1855. But since the language
            is a dead language, I doubt the word has chanded.

            Enjoy,

            Frank

            _____

            --- In Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 6 , May 7, 2010
              Hold the presses!! I just looked up Slovenska' Ves (in the Spis~ region, in NE Slovakia) and found that it is called Totfalu in Hungarian, but there's no mention of any mill(s). The main industries there are farming, weaving, and forestry. The entry right before Slovenska' Ves is Slovenska' Nova' Ves (near Trnava, in western Slovakia), one of whose Hungarian names is Totujfalu (the other is Vedrodtotujfalu). In this village, they have a stream/river, the Gidra. Unfortunately, there's no mention at all of any mills. The main industries there are noted as agriculture and later factories in Trnava, Bratislava, and Ci'fer.

              All opinions my own

            • Julie Michutka
              Message 6 of 6 , May 7, 2010
                Like Slovak, Latin declines its nouns and adjectives; in other words,
                the word ending changes to reflect gender, number (singular vs
                plural), and case (subject vs object of a verb, etc.)

                MediA is an adjective in the feminine singular nominative form; MediUS
                is masculine singular nominative. Mola, being a feminine singular
                noun, requires an adjective with a feminine singular ending. Hence,
                mediA mola.

                Good discussion--it reminds me that an elusive ancestor appeared in
                one record at a something-Mola location, and this gives me a new idea
                for looking for the location on my detailed map.

                Julie Michutka
                jmm@...