Aby sme nekrmili ich, co nechcu pracovat!

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 13 , May 6 9:10 PM
      _It's so quiet on SW!_

      So I thought I would kinda wake it up-

      SNS, the Slovak Nationalist Party, took a picture of a Roma- sitting with his shirt off and revealing a very well-tatooed torso- and labled it with the slogan "So that we won't feed those who don't want to work."

      Then they put the billboard up all over Slovakia.  http://www.sme.sk/c/5361501/rom-z-bilbordu-netusil-ze-robi-pre-sns.html

      Now, SNS says that if you think the person is a Rom, then YOU are racist.... while so many others are saying that the billboard is racist.  Oh, and the Rom: he was paid, with his brother, a total of 150 Euros. He now wants more... can't blame him.

      However, I cannot find anything in English about these happenings to share with you, and most of it is just pre-election antics.  But it is big news in Slovakia, and I thought it was actually funny-- Just another thing that I have to come to expect from Slota's party. Just to share it with you all....
      :-)
      Ben

    • votrubam
      Message 2 of 13 , May 7 11:27 AM
        > a very well-tatooed torso

        Actually, the tattoo on the torso (as well as the gold necklace) were added digitally for the billboard (surely to "de-stereotype" the Roma even more, as you point out, Ben). The person who was photographed has tattoo only on his arm and no necklace.

        > cannot find anything in English about these happenings

        <http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6454AR20100506>
        <http://www.romea.cz/english/index.php?id=detail&detail=2007_1628>
        <http://www.rnw.nl/international-justice/print/92692>
        <http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/printstory.php?news=322128>

        Martin
      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 13 , May 7 10:24 PM
          Billboards stir outrage in Slovakia election campaign

          http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=360035&version=1&template_id=39&parent_id=21

          Vilo

          ________________________________
          Actually, the tattoo on the torso (as well as the gold necklace) were added digitally for the billboard (surely to "de-stereotype" the Roma even more, as you point out, Ben). The person who was photographed has tattoo only on his arm and no necklace.

          > cannot find anything in English about these happenings

          <http://www.reuters com/article/ idUSTRE6454AR201 00506>
          <http://www.romea cz/english/ index.php? id=detail& detail=2007_ 1628>
          <http://www.rnw nl/international -justice/ print/92692>
          <http://www.earthtim es.org/articles/ printstory. php?news= 322128>

        • john aa
          Message 4 of 13 , May 8 1:13 AM
            Slovensko ma problemy skoro ako Grecko a vy tu diskutujete o romoch....

            ____________ _________ _________ __
            Actually, the tattoo on the torso (as well as the gold necklace) were added digitally for the billboard (surely to "de-stereotype" the Roma even more, as you point out, Ben). The person who was photographed has tattoo only on his arm and no necklace.

            > cannot find anything in English about these happenings

            <http://www.reuters. com/article/ idUSTRE6454AR201 00506>
            <http://www.romea. cz/english/ index.php? id=detail& detail=2007_ 1628>
            <http://www.rnw. nl/international -justice/ print/92692>
            <http://www.earthtim es.org/articles/ printstory. php?news= 322128>

          • Nick Holcz
            Message 5 of 13 , May 8 1:26 AM
              At , you wrote:
              >Slovensko ma problemy skoro ako Grecko a vy tu diskutujete o romoch....

              Translated this to say Slovakia has same problems as Greece. If that
              is correct does it make politics become "racist"? seems they are
              trying to blame a certain group of people for the problems.
              Remember the last time that happened in a big way.
              Nick

              "In the long run, you only hit what you aim at."
              -- Henry Thoreau

              Message 6 of 13 , May 11 12:29 PM
                will there be a recording or pod cast?

                Saturday, May 22, 1957

                "To je ale muzika! What's so Slovak About Slovak Pop Music?"

                A talk by Ben Sorensen

                2nd Floor Meeting Room, Arlington County Central Library, 1015 N.

                Quincy St, Arlington, VA

                (midway between Virginia Square and Ballston Metro stations)

                2:00pm

                Cost: free

                What's so Slovak about Slovak popular music? Ben will explore its

                folk-music roots to identify the elements that have been carried over

                into Slovak pop music, giving it a distinct flavor. He'll show us

                examples of what's out there now and talk about how it's evolved.

                Ben Sorensen graduated with a BA in History and Music, only to move to

                Slovakia to fall in love with ethnomusicology and Slovak folk music. He

                learned to play the fujara and piš alka in the fields of Podpolanie

                while also fronting a bluegrass band (Longhorns) and a progressive rock

                band (SIX) in Poprad.

                All opinions my own

              • BarbyDZ@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , May 11 12:59 PM
                  The date provided is Saturday May 22, 1957. Aren't we a little late for
                  that???

                  --- On Thu, 5/6/10, Helen Fedor <_hfed@..._ (mailto:hfed@...) >

                  Saturday, May 22, 1957

                • cerrunos1@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 11 1:35 PM
                    Nah- all you need is a Delorean and a flex-capacitor! 1.21 jigawatts!
                    Ben

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 11 2:08 PM
                      Someone else brought that to my attention too. Sorry, the fingers did
                      what the fingers wanted to do. May 22, 2010 is definitely the date.

                      As for a recording or pod cast...maybe the Google satellite will pick us
                      up. ;-) Otherwise, you'll just have to hotfoot it to Arlington.

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 12 6:29 PM
                        No Delorean, but a '96 Sebring Coupe should get me there. Thanks for the information.

                        Eugene Klodzen