Re: [Slovak-World] Austria

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2010
      Paula,

      Slovenia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_of_Gorizia
      Maplandia - http://www.maplandia.com/slovenia/gorisnica/gradisca

      Vilo

      ________________________________
      From: ccrazyquilter2 <crazyquilter3@...>
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, May 2, 2010 3:21:42 PM
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Austria

      My Grandparents come over here in 1909 and 1912. I found them in the 1920 cencus and their last name is spelled Gondike. It listed that both of them were from Gradisca Austria as were both of their parents.

      Can anyone tell me where this is located?

      Paula

      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2010
        Cute & clever, Frank!

        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2010
          Thank you Vilo!

          On the emigration information my Grandfather listed Gnezda(Hniezde) and my Grandmother listed Ujlublo(Nova Lubovna).

          Can you tell me where these are located from Gradisca Austria?

          Paula

          Message 4 of 11 , May 3, 2010
            Paula,

            Route 67, just west of Stara Lubovna, and Nona Lubovna is just South o Stara L. :o):o):o)

            http://www.maplandia.com/slovakia/presov/stara-lubovna/

            Vilo

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 11 , May 3, 2010
              Vilo,

              Where are those 2 towns from Gradisa Austria? If Grandparents were born in Austria I am trying to find out how they ended up in those 2 towns.

              Paula
              Route 67, just west of Stara Lubovna, and Nona Lubovna is just South o Stara L. :o):o):o)

              http://www.maplandia.com/slovakia/presov/stara-lubovna/<http://www.maplandia.com/slovakia/presov/stara-lubovna/>

              Vilo

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 11 , May 3, 2010
                Paula,

                I understand your "confusion". They were born in Austria Hungary. Some are listed in records as Austria and others, Hungary. The use of the "G", rather than "H", In the spelling of Hniezda, I because it is close to the Polish border where the Name could have been pronounced with a "G".

                There is often confusion when researching records because names and places are recorded in German or Hungarian. You have now opened yourself to a study of East European. History.

                Google both towns to find the History.

                Vilo

                ________________________________

                ____________ _________ _________ __

                Message 7 of 11 , May 3, 2010
                  Thank you Vilo! I will now under take the task of learning my history. I was adopted and just found my Birth Mother and she told me who my Father was as he has passed away along with the rest of his side. He was first generation born here in the US. Know that I know my Ancestry I am curious about where my grandparents came from.

                  Where are those 2 towns from Gradisa Austria? If Grandparents were born in Austria I am trying to find out how they ended up in those 2 towns.

                  Paula
                  Route 67, just west of Stara Lubovna, and Nona Lubovna is just South o Stara L. :o):o):o)

                  http://www.maplandia.com/slovakia/presov/stara-lubovna/<http://www.maplandia.com/slovakia/presov/stara-lubovna/><http://www.maplandi<http://www.maplandi/> a.com/slovakia/ presov/stara- lubovna/>

                  Vilo

                  ____________ _________ _________ __
                  On the emigration information my Grandfather listed Gnezda(Hniezde) and my Grandmother listed Ujlublo(Nova Lubovna).

                  Can you tell me where these are located from Gradisca Austria?

                  Paula
                  Slovenia. http://en.wikipedia<http://en.wikipedia/><http://en.wikipedia/<http://en.wikipedia/>> .org/wiki/ County_of_ Gorizia<http://en.wikipedia<http://en.wikipedia/><http://en.wikipedia<http://en.wikipedia/> /> .org/wiki/ County_of_ Gorizia>
                  Maplandia - http://www.maplandi<http://www.maplandi/><http://www.maplandi/<http://www.maplandi/>> a.com/slovenia/ gorisnica/ gradisca<http://www.maplandi<http://www.maplandi/><http://www.maplandi<http://www.maplandi/> /> a.com/slovenia/ gorisnica/ gradisca>

                  Vilo

                  ____________ _________ _________ __

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 3, 2010
                    My family name was also spelled w/ a 'D' in English instead of a 'G' in Slovak.

                    So don't be confused.

                    It is another reason why this website is so priceless.

[...]

                  • helene cincebeaux
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 3, 2010
                      hi Paula - i am taking a group of people with roots in Nova Lubovna there this july on my  Treasures of Slovakia trip.

                      why don't you e mail me directly - possibly you share a connection with them.

                      Hey - i just looked and you do share a Barlik ancestor - wow - goose bump time - do get back to me!

                      Nova Lubovna has a web site you would enjoy - tho the town name is Nova or "New" it has a very long history.

                      helene
                      helenezx@...