Re: help with translation please

  • gail c
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2010
      Helen,

      Someone in another group said it was PRIVATE IN THE ARMY but I have a web site on my family and here is the link to the page with the documents, you can largen the pic by clicking on the magnify glass .........it's ANDRAS BUGYIS on line 30. Also if you could tell me what the TOTH ANTAL mens I would also appreciate it
      http://www1.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=budish&view=26&rand=714550206&id=3175174
      thank you very very much
      Gail

      > Gail,
      > Here's the answer I got back from my colleague:
      >
      > sorznebeli 'someone from Sorznebel' although the name does not appear
      > in the gazetteer, and does not seem Hungarian. Perhaps misspelled?
      >
      > köz 'common'
      > legény 'lad , young man'
      >
      > I looked up a whole bunch of towns and villages in the vicinity of
      > Pavlovce nad Uhom, hoping that the Hungarian name of one of them (or a
      > neighborhood within one of them) would even vaguely match up with
      > "sorznebel," but there was nothing even close. Could you post an
      > electronic copy of the original so that we could decipher the
      > handwriting? That would be a big help.

      > All opinions my own

      > help with translation please............ I have found my great great
      > grandparents marriage certificate Andras Bugyis to Suzanna Varsa October
      > 23, 1871 in
      >

      > Pavlovce nad Uhom Slovakia. I would please like a translation of his
      > occupation I believe *in looking at the longhand on the document* it
      > reads
      >
      > sorznebeli kozlegeny.............I google translated PRIVATE but
      > private what! lol
      > thank you in advance
      >
      > Gail Lombardo-Caminiti

    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2010
        Gail & Helen,
        Kozlegeny pretty consisently appears in records of this period meaning private in the army as Janet has already indicated. The previous part indicates the number, and the regiment. In this case the 66th ??? . See also the following entry as well where the same word appears. I am not expert in A-H military history, so cannot tell you further information of the regiment.

        Toth Antal is the name of the villager who serves as witness.

        Toth is the last name, Antal the first.

        Curt B.

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "gail c" <GEEE2252@...> wrote:

        > Helen,
        >
        > Someone in another group said it was PRIVATE IN THE ARMY but I have a web site on my family and here is the link to the page with the documents, you can largen the pic by clicking on the magnify glass .........it's ANDRAS BUGYIS on line 30. Also if you could tell me what the TOTH ANTAL mens I would also appreciate it
        > http://www1.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=budish&view=26&rand=714550206&id=3175174
        > thank you very very much
        > Gail
        >
        > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Gail,
        > > Here's the answer I got back from my colleague:
        > >
        > > sorznebeli 'someone from Sorznebel' although the name does not appear
        > > in the gazetteer, and does not seem Hungarian. Perhaps misspelled?
        > >
        > > köz 'common'
        > > legény 'lad , young man'
        > >
        > > I looked up a whole bunch of towns and villages in the vicinity of
        > > Pavlovce nad Uhom, hoping that the Hungarian name of one of them (or a
        > > neighborhood within one of them) would even vaguely match up with
        > > "sorznebel," but there was nothing even close. Could you post an
        > > electronic copy of the original so that we could decipher the
        > > handwriting? That would be a big help.

        > > All opinions my own

        > > help with translation please............ I have found my great great
        > > grandparents marriage certificate Andras Bugyis to Suzanna Varsa October
        > > 23, 1871 in
        > >

        > > Pavlovce nad Uhom Slovakia. I would please like a translation of his
        > > occupation I believe *in looking at the longhand on the document* it
        > > reads
        > >
        > > sorznebeli kozlegeny.............I google translated PRIVATE but
        > > private what! lol
        > > thank you in advance
        > >
        > > Gail Lombardo-Caminiti

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2010
          "Related but not" related" to Gail's search.

          In my youth, I was told that Hungarians, (Magyari), referred to Slovaks as Buta Toth, which they said was "stupid Slovak". Buta"" does translate on Google as "stupid" but "Toth" does not.
          I would like to know what ", [Slovak pronunciation, Tot'], translates to??

          Vilo

          ________________________________
          Kozlegeny pretty consisently appears in records of this period meaning private in the army as Janet has already indicated. The previous part indicates the number, and the regiment. In this case the 66th ??? . See also the following entry as well where the same word appears. I am not expert in A-H military history, so cannot tell you further information of the regiment.

          Toth Antal is the name of the villager who serves as witness.

          Toth is the last name, Antal the first.

          Curt B.

          --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, "gail c" <GEEE2252@.. .> wrote:

          > Helen,
          >
          > Someone in another group said it was PRIVATE IN THE ARMY but I have a web site on my family and here is the link to the page with the documents, you can largen the pic by clicking on the magnify glass .........it' s ANDRAS BUGYIS on line 30. Also if you could tell me what the TOTH ANTAL mens I would also appreciate it
          > http://www1. tribalpages. com/tribe/ browse?userid= budish&view= 26&rand=71455020 6&id=3175174
          > thank you very very much
          > Gail
          >
          > --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Gail,
          > > Here's the answer I got back from my colleague:
          > >
          > > sorznebeli 'someone from Sorznebel' although the name does not appear
          > > in the gazetteer, and does not seem Hungarian. Perhaps misspelled?
          > >
          > > köz 'common'
          > > legény 'lad , young man'
          > >
          > > I looked up a whole bunch of towns and villages in the vicinity of
          > > Pavlovce nad Uhom, hoping that the Hungarian name of one of them (or a
          > > neighborhood within one of them) would even vaguely match up with
          > > "sorznebel," but there was nothing even close. Could you post an
          > > electronic copy of the original so that we could decipher the
          > > handwriting? That would be a big help.

          > > All opinions my own

          > > help with translation please...... ...... I have found my great great
          > > grandparents marriage certificate Andras Bugyis to Suzanna Varsa October
          > > 23, 1871 in
          > >

          > > Pavlovce nad Uhom Slovakia. I would please like a translation of his
          > > occupation I believe *in looking at the longhand on the document* it
          > > reads
          > >
          > > sorznebeli kozlegeny... ......... .I google translated PRIVATE but
          > > private what! lol
          > > thank you in advance
          > >
          > > Gail Lombardo-Caminiti

        • CurtB
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2010
            Well, just so , Vilo.
            Toth, as well as being a last name, also is the Hungarian word meaning an ethnic Slovak.

            Curt B.

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...> wrote:

            > "Related but not" related" to Gail's search.
            >
            > In my youth, I was told that Hungarians, (Magyari), referred to Slovaks as Buta Toth, which they said was "stupid Slovak". Buta"" does translate on Google as "stupid" but "Toth" does not.
            > I would like to know what ", [Slovak pronunciation, Tot'], translates to??
            >
            > Vilo

          • gail c
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2010
              I would like to thank everyone for their help. I really really appreciate it!
              have a great day
              Gail