help with translation please

  • gail c
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 28, 2010
      help with translation please............ I have found my great great grandparents marriage certificate Andras Bugyis to Suzanna Varsa October 23, 1871 in

      Pavlovce nad Uhom Slovakia. I would please like a translation of his occupation I believe *in looking at the longhand on the document* it reads

      sorznebeli kozlegeny.............I google translated PRIVATE but private what! lol
      thank you in advance

      Gail Lombardo-Caminiti
    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 28, 2010
        Gail,

        In case you do not know:

        You do have relatives left as your Great, Great Grandfather was Andrej Bu~dis~

        http://www.zoznam.sk/hladaj.fcgi?co=telzoznam&s=Budis&mesto=Pavlovce+nad+Uhom&ulica=&psc=&uto=&net_fixed=1&net_mobile=1&net_alt=1

        Here is the village sit, which can be translated by clicking on the British flag.

        http://www.pavlovce.sk/

        Vilo

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 29, 2010
          Vilo,

          No I didn't know! I am all new to this and really don't know much about Slovakia or even how to find people! lol. I have been doing my best on the Latter Day Saint site working backwards. My great great grandmother was Zsuzsana VARSA (dob 1852) married Andras Bugyis(dob 1847) on October 23, 1871. That's my great grandfather's parents.

          I was going to start doing more on my great grandmothers family also. They were Greek Catholic from MILOVC'IK, her name was Maria Kerestan'ova, her parents were KERESTAN Mihaly (dob 1862) szolga
          KOVACS Anna(dob 8/161863) zsellerleany*married 11/10/1885*, and Anna Kovacs parents were KOVACS Andras es MILOCSIK Maria, Mihaly's parents were KERESTAN Ferenc es STAFURA Maria

          I am trying to do my best although I think I kind of hit a road block with the Bugyis end.

          Thanks so much I really appreciate the info. I know when I was little my grandmother use to send cards to relatives there but I don't know who they were to.

          Any info is appreciated. Email me at geee2252@... directly if you want to

          Gail
          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...> wrote:

          > Gail,
          >
          > In case you do not know:
          >
          > You do have relatives left as your Great, Great Grandfather was Andrej Bu~dis~
          >
          > http://www.zoznam.sk/hladaj.fcgi?co=telzoznam&s=Budis&mesto=Pavlovce+nad+Uhom&ulica=&psc=&uto=&net_fixed=1&net_mobile=1&net_alt=1
          >
          > Here is the village sit, which can be translated by clicking on the British flag.
          >
          > http://www.pavlovce.sk/
          >
          > Vilo
          >

          > ________________________________

        • gail c
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 29, 2010
            Vilo
            Question, if I write to them how do I write their address?? I am really vanilla to all of this! As you can tell.
            Thank you.......
            Gail

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...> wrote:

            > Gail,
            >
            > In case you do not know:
            >
            > You do have relatives left as your Great, Great Grandfather was Andrej Bu~dis~
            >
            > http://www.zoznam.sk/hladaj.fcgi?co=telzoznam&s=Budis&mesto=Pavlovce+nad+Uhom&ulica=&psc=&uto=&net_fixed=1&net_mobile=1&net_alt=1
            >
            > Here is the village sit, which can be translated by clicking on the British flag.
            >
            > http://www.pavlovce.sk/
            >
            > Vilo
            >

            > ________________________________

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 29, 2010
              Gail,

              It is difficult when trying to research family in Slovakia if you do not know the Hungarian alphabet.

              I will try to find additional info for you.

              Vilo

              ________________________________

              Any info is appreciated. Email me at geee2252@aol. com directly if you want to

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 29, 2010
                I've sent the info from your original message (the Hungarian text) to my colleague who covers Hungary. I'll let you know what he says.

                All opinions my own

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 30, 2010
                  Gail,
                  Here's the answer I got back from my colleague:

                  sorznebeli 'someone from Sorznebel' although the name does not appear
                  in the gazetteer, and does not seem Hungarian. Perhaps misspelled?

                  köz 'common'
                  legény 'lad , young man'

                  I looked up a whole bunch of towns and villages in the vicinity of
                  Pavlovce nad Uhom, hoping that the Hungarian name of one of them (or a
                  neighborhood within one of them) would even vaguely match up with
                  "sorznebel," but there was nothing even close. Could you post an
                  electronic copy of the original so that we could decipher the
                  handwriting? That would be a big help.

                  All opinions my own

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 1, 2010
                    Helen,

                    Someone in another group said it was PRIVATE IN THE ARMY but I have a web site on my family and here is the link to the page with the documents, you can largen the pic by clicking on the magnify glass .........it's ANDRAS BUGYIS on line 30. Also if you could tell me what the TOTH ANTAL mens I would also appreciate it
                    http://www1.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=budish&view=26&rand=714550206&id=3175174
                    thank you very very much
                    Gail

                    > Gail,
                    > Here's the answer I got back from my colleague:
                    >
                    > sorznebeli 'someone from Sorznebel' although the name does not appear
                    > in the gazetteer, and does not seem Hungarian. Perhaps misspelled?
                    >
                    > köz 'common'
                    > legény 'lad , young man'
                    >
                    > I looked up a whole bunch of towns and villages in the vicinity of
                    > Pavlovce nad Uhom, hoping that the Hungarian name of one of them (or a
                    > neighborhood within one of them) would even vaguely match up with
                    > "sorznebel," but there was nothing even close. Could you post an
                    > electronic copy of the original so that we could decipher the
                    > handwriting? That would be a big help.

                    > All opinions my own

                    > help with translation please............ I have found my great great
                    > grandparents marriage certificate Andras Bugyis to Suzanna Varsa October
                    > 23, 1871 in
                    >

                    > Pavlovce nad Uhom Slovakia. I would please like a translation of his
                    > occupation I believe *in looking at the longhand on the document* it
                    > reads
                    >
                    > sorznebeli kozlegeny.............I google translated PRIVATE but
                    > private what! lol
                    > thank you in advance
                    >
                    > Gail Lombardo-Caminiti

                  • CurtB
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 1, 2010
                      Gail & Helen,
                      Kozlegeny pretty consisently appears in records of this period meaning private in the army as Janet has already indicated. The previous part indicates the number, and the regiment. In this case the 66th ??? . See also the following entry as well where the same word appears. I am not expert in A-H military history, so cannot tell you further information of the regiment.

                      Toth Antal is the name of the villager who serves as witness.

                      Toth is the last name, Antal the first.

                      Curt B.

                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "gail c" <GEEE2252@...> wrote:

                      > Helen,
                      >
                      > Someone in another group said it was PRIVATE IN THE ARMY but I have a web site on my family and here is the link to the page with the documents, you can largen the pic by clicking on the magnify glass .........it's ANDRAS BUGYIS on line 30. Also if you could tell me what the TOTH ANTAL mens I would also appreciate it
                      > http://www1.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=budish&view=26&rand=714550206&id=3175174
                      > thank you very very much
                      > Gail
                      >
                      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Gail,
                      > > Here's the answer I got back from my colleague:
                      > >
                      > > sorznebeli 'someone from Sorznebel' although the name does not appear
                      > > in the gazetteer, and does not seem Hungarian. Perhaps misspelled?
                      > >
                      > > köz 'common'
                      > > legény 'lad , young man'
                      > >
                      > > I looked up a whole bunch of towns and villages in the vicinity of
                      > > Pavlovce nad Uhom, hoping that the Hungarian name of one of them (or a
                      > > neighborhood within one of them) would even vaguely match up with
                      > > "sorznebel," but there was nothing even close. Could you post an
                      > > electronic copy of the original so that we could decipher the
                      > > handwriting? That would be a big help.

                      > > All opinions my own

                      > > help with translation please............ I have found my great great
                      > > grandparents marriage certificate Andras Bugyis to Suzanna Varsa October
                      > > 23, 1871 in
                      > >

                      > > Pavlovce nad Uhom Slovakia. I would please like a translation of his
                      > > occupation I believe *in looking at the longhand on the document* it
                      > > reads
                      > >
                      > > sorznebeli kozlegeny.............I google translated PRIVATE but
                      > > private what! lol
                      > > thank you in advance
                      > >
                      > > Gail Lombardo-Caminiti

                    • William C. Wormuth
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 1, 2010
                        "Related but not" related" to Gail's search.

                        In my youth, I was told that Hungarians, (Magyari), referred to Slovaks as Buta Toth, which they said was "stupid Slovak". Buta"" does translate on Google as "stupid" but "Toth" does not.
                        I would like to know what ", [Slovak pronunciation, Tot'], translates to??

                        Vilo

                        ________________________________
                        Kozlegeny pretty consisently appears in records of this period meaning private in the army as Janet has already indicated. The previous part indicates the number, and the regiment. In this case the 66th ??? . See also the following entry as well where the same word appears. I am not expert in A-H military history, so cannot tell you further information of the regiment.

                        Toth Antal is the name of the villager who serves as witness.

                        Toth is the last name, Antal the first.

                        Curt B.

                        --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, "gail c" <GEEE2252@.. .> wrote:

                        > Helen,
                        >
                        > Someone in another group said it was PRIVATE IN THE ARMY but I have a web site on my family and here is the link to the page with the documents, you can largen the pic by clicking on the magnify glass .........it' s ANDRAS BUGYIS on line 30. Also if you could tell me what the TOTH ANTAL mens I would also appreciate it
                        > http://www1. tribalpages. com/tribe/ browse?userid= budish&view= 26&rand=71455020 6&id=3175174
                        > thank you very very much
                        > Gail
                        >
                        > --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Gail,
                        > > Here's the answer I got back from my colleague:
                        > >
                        > > sorznebeli 'someone from Sorznebel' although the name does not appear
                        > > in the gazetteer, and does not seem Hungarian. Perhaps misspelled?
                        > >
                        > > köz 'common'
                        > > legény 'lad , young man'
                        > >
                        > > I looked up a whole bunch of towns and villages in the vicinity of
                        > > Pavlovce nad Uhom, hoping that the Hungarian name of one of them (or a
                        > > neighborhood within one of them) would even vaguely match up with
                        > > "sorznebel," but there was nothing even close. Could you post an
                        > > electronic copy of the original so that we could decipher the
                        > > handwriting? That would be a big help.

                        > > All opinions my own

                        > > help with translation please...... ...... I have found my great great
                        > > grandparents marriage certificate Andras Bugyis to Suzanna Varsa October
                        > > 23, 1871 in
                        > >

                        > > Pavlovce nad Uhom Slovakia. I would please like a translation of his
                        > > occupation I believe *in looking at the longhand on the document* it
                        > > reads
                        > >
                        > > sorznebeli kozlegeny... ......... .I google translated PRIVATE but
                        > > private what! lol
                        > > thank you in advance
                        > >
                        > > Gail Lombardo-Caminiti

                      • CurtB
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 1, 2010
                          Well, just so , Vilo.
                          Toth, as well as being a last name, also is the Hungarian word meaning an ethnic Slovak.

                          Curt B.

                        • gail c
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 2, 2010
                            I would like to thank everyone for their help. I really really appreciate it!
                            have a great day
                            Gail