Re: [Slovak-World] Re: S-P-L-A-S-H!!!!!

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 43 , Apr 5, 2010

      --- On Mon, 4/5/10, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

      From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Re: S-P-L-A-S-H!!!!!
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, April 5, 2010, 12:17 PM

      The only way I've ever seen you can buy poppyseed is dry as a spice or canned for filling cookies or baking -- not sure how you'd get fresh poppyseeds without growing poppies yourself, and I'm guessing those are NOT the poppyseed kind our ancestors would remember.

      Date: Monday, April 5, 2010, 9:58 AM

      If I wait until Tuesday, I'll probably forget. And I certianly wouldn't want to cheat anyone of the experience.

      BTW, does anyone have a solution to dry poppyseeds? I made an orechovnik and a makovnik (even the Vermont Country Store sells the, but a what a price! < http://www.vermontc ountrystore. com/browse/ Home/Food- Candy/Baked- Goods/Traditiona l-Nut-Rolls/ D/30100/P/ 1:100:1020: 100630/I/ f09153?evar3= RELATEDITEMS >). I ground the poppyseeds properly, and when I tasted the finished product, found that the filling was on the dry side. I remembered that, years ago, my mom said the same thing when I brought her some poppyseeds from somewhere around here (probably from Whole Foods then, too). She said they'd been sitting around too long.

      All opinions my own

      >>> "votrubam" <votrubam@yahoo. com> 4/5/2010 10:43 AM >>>

      > gentlemen in the group should consider themselves to have

      > been officially "sprinked"

      Men on _Monday_???? What's the world coming to.

    • slovak821@aol.com
      Message 43 of 43 , Apr 9, 2010
        Thank you for sharing this recollection. My mom always added sugar and
        beaten egg whites to her finely ground walnuts. I continue to do the same.

        In a message dated 4/9/2010 2:46:41 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        senzus@... writes:

        My grandmother, (born on 1889), who came here in 1902, told us that sugar
        used by her family came in a large, "Upside down cone" and had to be
        hammered off and ground fine before it could be used.

        Although we ate honey, we did not cook our Slovak foods with it. Out mak
        was ground very fine and mixed with sugar. If it was not "spreadable at
        baking time we added heavy cream to dilute it. Orechy, were ground fine,
        mixed with beaten egg white and sugar. If at the time of baking, it was dry,
        we mixed in a bit of heavy cream.

        Many of our Slovaks here in Johnstown, NY, had small farms. the women
        worked for the rich people as domestics or sewed gloves in facories. Most men
        worked in leather fills tanning hides.

        Both husband and wives worked together to feed and milk cows, raise
        chickens for eggs, ducks and geese for eating and feed 2 or three pigs, which
        were often fed with milk and greens grown in the big gardens they tended.

        They also tended bee hives to assure gardens and grains would be well
        pollinated. Often they sold the honey, chicken friers and vegetables for
        extra cash. All children worked on the farms, after school and weekends.

        This in addition to cutting and storing hay for winter feed. Grain for
        feeds was purchased, except for corn, which was home grown. Social life was
        mostly at home with friends and relatives. Occasionally, they attended
        dances in one of the three Slovak halls in town.

        Life was indeed hard but they managed to educate their children as much as
        possible during those times.

        The next generation included Doctors, nurses, store owners, leather mills,
        glove factory owners farmers, etc.

        The fourth generation still eat our slovak foods, prepared as of old.

        No wonder I am Proud to be Slovak.........

        Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

        Welcome to Mom Connection! Share stories, news and more with moms like

        Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore
        new interests.