No "Food & Eating" tomorrow

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2010
      I guess it's appropriate that we'll "abstain" from text on food and eating tomorrow, it being Good Friday. I'm taking off work (i.e., I'll be away from the text) to do some baking for Easter. My hrutka's already hanging/driipping downstairs, and tomorrow I'll make my paska and a makovnik and orechovnik. We're going to visit my mother-in-law, so I'm not making as much food as usual.

      Making the makovnik and orechovnik should be interesting, because while, many years ago, I finally got my mom to measure her ingredients and write down the whole process of making the dough for both, she never did write down how to make the fillings ("...then put in the fillings."). I'll have to rely on my memory and tastebuds, but it shouldn't be too hard. I remember there being just a few ingredients. I bought whole poppyseeds by the pound at Whole Foods and have washed and dried them. Mom's poppyseed grinder and nut grater are waiting for me in the basement. I haven't used the former for 15+ years, so I'm looking forward to it.

      Dobru' noc,
      All opinions my own