Re: [Slovak-World] Any ideas?

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
      Unfortunately, there's not much context. The letter goes on to say how many persons lived at "u Maca v predn~ej" and how much land they had and how many animals they raised (not many: 3 cows, 15 hens, and 2 piglets). At "u S~ima" there lived 11 persons, and no animals or land holdings are mentioned.

      Would "in the front part of the Maco place" and "in the rear part of the Maco place" be accurate, yet ambiguous enough to match the original, given that there's not more info to go on?

      All opinions and mistranslations my own

      >>> "votrubam" <votrubam@...> 04/01/10 9:31 PM >>>
      (Sorry if this ends up being a duplicate; the first reply either vanished or will show up later.)

      > "v predn~ej" and "v zadn~ej" why the ma:kc~en over the "n"?)?

      That is a representation of the local pronunciation (dialect).

      > "u Maca". Does this mean "the Maco house"? The family's name
      > is completely different, and there's no mention of anyone named
      > Maco living there at the time (and the name's not mentioned
      > anywhere else in the letter). Could this be like "the old
      > Anderson House" or "the old Anderson place" even though the
      > Andersons died or moved away 20 years ago?

      Or 100+ years ago. Maco could also have been a long-forgotten person's nickname that became the standard name of that particular locality in the village.

      > Would there have been two houses on one piece of property or
      > would it have been a large house that, like a duplex, was divided

      All of what you say Helen, as well as... e.g., it could also have been two separate farmsteads, not even necessarily next to each other, "the Front Farm 'At Maco's'" and "the Rear Farm 'At Maco's.'" Etc. Only broader context could clarify how the designation(s), "v prednej u Maca," worked in this instance -- from ad-hoc descriptions of adjacent buildings on a single farm through established local place names.

      Martin
    • votrubam
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
        > pocha'dzala od Maca, kde sa hovorilo o rodine "V predn~ej
        > u Maca" a v "Zadn~ej u Maca". U Maca v predn~ej by'valo 7 dus~i..."

        > Would "in the front part of the Maco place" and "in the rear part of the Maco place" be accurate, yet ambiguous enough to match the original, given that there's not more info to go on?

        Consider ... grew up at Maco's [as the locality was called], and there they would say the family lived [either] "at Maco's in the front" and [or] "at Maco's in the rear." ...

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2010
          I think that'll do nicely. It gives a good sense of the original while leaving it just as ambiguous in English. D'akujem pekne, Martin.

          All opinions my own