Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Food & Eating--24

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
      It looks tasty, but ours were definitely savory. It's funny how the same word can mean such a range of things. My bejles~ came from the southeastern part of Slovakia. And yours?

      All opinions my own

      >>> "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...> 4/1/2010 11:34 AM >>>
      Dear Helen,

      Below is a foto of the Beles~ I had a a youngster.

      http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=cs&u=http://www.mimibazar.cz/recept.php%3Fid%3D18815&ei=v7u0S-bxHsL88Ab9lJU6&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CC4Q7gEwBw&prev=/search%3Fq%3DBele%25C5%25A1e%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1B3GGGL_enUS302US302

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
        It just occurred to me: is Rick Bayless, the famous chef, really Rick Bejles~ < http://www.rickbayless.com/ >?

        All opinions and musings my own

        >>> "Helen Fedor" <hfed@...> 4/1/2010 11:46 AM >>>
        It looks tasty, but ours were definitely savory. It's funny how the same word can mean such a range of things. My bejles~ came from the southeastern part of Slovakia. And yours?

        All opinions my own

        >>> "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...> 4/1/2010 11:34 AM >>>
        Dear Helen,

        Below is a foto of the Beles~ I had a a youngster.

        http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=cs&u=http://www.mimibazar.cz/recept.php%3Fid%3D18815&ei=v7u0S-bxHsL88Ab9lJU6&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CC4Q7gEwBw&prev=/search%3Fq%3DBele%25C5%25A1e%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1B3GGGL_enUS302US302

        ________________________________
        That second picture esepcially, reminds me of something my mom made that we called <bejles~>. But instead of making individual "pies," she would make it on a sheet pan (kind of like apple slices) and would cut it up into squares measuring about 4" square (4"x4"). Her usual filling was fried, finely shredded cabbage. If there was only one layer of dough and the topping was put on top, like the 3rd image, then that's what we called <langos~>. Our <langos~> was baked, not the fried dough I had in the Tatry.

        All opinions my own

        >>> "votrubam" <votrubam@yahoo. com> 3/31/2010 5:54 PM >>>
        >>> Some meals, such as large filled pies[???]
        >
        >> Probably an attempt to render plnene' tas~ky (large ravioli).
        >
        > ***HUGE pirohy

        That "huge" thing is a relative novelty in Slovakia. The authors of the chapter about historical folk cooking are probably talking about this traditional food:

        <http://tinyurl. com/yju5gn9>
        <http://tinyurl. com/ylndela>
        <http://tinyurl. com/ylp5qdc>
        <http://tinyurl. com/yjh2ayl>
        <http://tinyurl. com/yzb5fba>

        The cheapest ones would be filled with cabbage, otherwise with cottage cheese, bryndza, smoked meat,etc.

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
          Western Slovakia, Zahorie Region

        • BJLK@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
            Speaking of names, does anyone know anything about Evan Lysacek, the
            Olympic goldl-medal winner?

            B. J.
            B. J. Licko-Keel (_BJLK@..._ (http://BJLK@.../) )