Currency Exchange for Visitors

  • William
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2010
      At the end of May I will have a Slovak family visiting for a couple of weeks. They have asked me about changing money. When I travel to Europe I use ATM's for that purpose. I don't know yet whether they have a credit/debit card that allows for cash withdrawals or not but I need to find out. I know there are currency exchanges in airports, at AAA, and some travel agencies but the exchange rate is usually not a good deal. Looking for suggestions to help this family decide how they want to convert Euros to dollars. Some on the list might have experience with Slovak visitors. Thanks in advance.
      Bill
    • William
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2010
        At the end of May I will have a Slovak family visiting for a couple of weeks. They have asked me about changing money. When I travel to Europe I use ATM's for that purpose. I don't know yet whether they have a credit/debit card that allows for cash withdrawals or not but I need to find out. I know there are currency exchanges in airports, at AAA, and some travel agencies but the exchange rate is usually not a good deal. Looking for suggestions to help this family decide how they want to convert Euros to dollars. Some on the list might have experience with Slovak visitors. Thanks in advance.
        Bill
      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 31, 2010
          They should change EUROS to US$ in Slovakia or
          use their credit cards for everything as the
          banks charges for international withdrawals are quite steep.

          Vladi

          At 04:30 PM 3/31/2010, you wrote:

          >At the end of May I will have a Slovak family
          >visiting for a couple of weeks. They have asked
          >me about changing money. When I travel to Europe
          >I use ATM's for that purpose. I don't know yet
          >whether they have a credit/debit card that
          >allows for cash withdrawals or not but I need to
          >find out. I know there are currency exchanges in
          >airports, at AAA, and some travel agencies but
          >the exchange rate is usually not a good deal.
          >Looking for suggestions to help this family
          >decide how they want to convert Euros to
          >dollars. Some on the list might have experience
          >with Slovak visitors. Thanks in advance.
          >Bill

        • Sharon Danko
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2010
            American Express travel offices have some conversion desks and you don't
            have to have an American Express card. You need to call ahead though.