Lost in translation

  • phoenixbenikowsky
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2010
      Hello to all of you in Slovak World,
      I have tracked down my some of my cousins in the Motherland. But they only speak and write in Slovak , funny that.
      I'm learning the language but its very slow going. I use Google translate but it isn't the best either.
      I've got this one passage from the latest email that I'm struggling to make sense out of. If any one out there would give it a go for me I'd really appreciate it.
      Many Thanks , Phoenix

      Neviem ako to bude preložené do anglického jazyka a či to bude zrozumiteľné čo píšem a preto Vám napíše Alexandra-moja

      dcéra a aj syn Branislav po anglicky.

      My bývame v tom dome kde býval aj strýko Štefan, len dom je zrenovovaný. Do USA odišiel so Štefanom aj brat Martin

      ale ten zomrel skôr ako Štefan.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 30, 2010
        "I don't know how this will come out tranlated into English, and whether
        what I'm writing to you will be understandable, so my daughter Alexandra
        and her son Branislav will write it for you in English. We live in the
        house where your Uncle Stefan lived, but the house has been renovated.
        His brother Martin went to the U.S. with Stefan, but he died before
        Stefan did."

        All opinions my own

        >>> "phoenixbenikowsky" <phoenixbenikowsky@...> 3/29/2010
        11:22:20 PM >>>
        Hello to all of you in Slovak World,
        I have tracked down my some of my cousins in the Motherland. But they
        only speak and write in Slovak , funny that.
        I'm learning the language but its very slow going. I use Google
        translate but it isn't the best either.
        I've got this one passage from the latest email that I'm struggling to
        make sense out of. If any one out there would give it a go for me I'd
        really appreciate it.
        Many Thanks , Phoenix

        Neviem ako to bude preložené do anglického jazyka a či to bude
        zrozumiteľné čo píšem a preto Vám napíše Alexandra-moja

        dcéra a aj syn Branislav po anglicky.

        My bývame v tom dome kde býval aj strýko Štefan, len dom je
        zrenovovaný. Do USA odišiel so Štefanom aj brat Martin

        ale ten zomrel skôr ako Štefan.
      • Armata, Joseph R
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 30, 2010
          Hi Phoenix! Since you're trying to learn the language, here's a word-for-word on it. By the way, there have been discussions before about why using special characters in email isn't always a good idea; we can see below how some of the special characters came through garbled.

          Neviem ako to bude preložené do anglického jazyka
          I-don't-know how this will-be translated into English language

          a či to bude zrozumiteľné čo píšem
          and if it will-be understandable what I-write

          a preto Vám napíše Alexandra-moja dcéra
          and therefore to-you will-write Alexandra my daughter

          a aj syn Branislav po anglicky.
          and also (or should "aj" be "jej" = her instead of also) son Branislav in English

          My bývame v tom dome
          We live in that house

          kde býval aj strýko Štefan,
          where lived also uncle Stefan

          len dom je zrenovovaný.
          but house is renovated

          Do USA odišiel so Štefanom aj brat Martin
          To USA he-went with Stefan also brother Martin

          ale ten zomrel skôr ako Štefan.
          but that-one died earlier than Stefan.

          Joe

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2010
            Dear Joe and Helen,

            Thank you very much for the good translations,especially since many words were so garbled up.
            The information you gave me was amazing. My cousins were saying that they live in the same house that my family lived in over 100 years ago. This is the house my Grandfather and his brother left to immigrate to the USA. I can hardly believe I have reconnected with my past in this way.
            Thanks again, Phoenix