Re: Slovak language and culture program Studia Academica Slovaca (SAS)

  • dragansk
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 6 8:41 AM
      I was there in 1994. Great program.
      Dennis

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

      > I was at SAS in 1988 and 1990, it was a most interesting experience!
      >
      > helene
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Ron
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 6 10:51 AM
        You all are making me JEALOUS, having all attended the SAS!

        At the time I was well into my engineering career in Alaska and enjoyed the (part time) life in the Bush with the Native peoples and their cultures. My interest in learning Slovak then was purely to speak to people and visit with family. It was tough enough finding books or histories on Slovakia in English, and the hopes of any academic pursuit of Slovak topics were null, particularly up here so far removed from any Slovak-American community.

        So that chance is past. I hope it works out this year with the Pittsburgh language program.

        Helen, it is fascinating to think of getting acquainted back then and then being S-W correspondents today...

        That is the year I flew from Alaska & joined my mother & sister from Ohio for a grand tour of Czechoslovakia. That is why I wanted some command of the language.

        Ron

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "dragansk" <dragansk@...> wrote:

        > I was there in 1994. Great program.
        > Dennis
        >
        > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I was at SAS in 1988 and 1990, it was a most interesting experience!
        > >
        > > helene

      • J.B. Bulharowski
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 6 1:08 PM
          I too am jealous, all this tripping around and studying, particularly with the SAS. To think I could have learned to speak Slovak for free at the feet of my grandparents. I knew enough to get me in trouble and then they were gone, so the opportunities to learn dwindled with each passing year. I've been to the Czech Republic once and never made it to Slovakia. Someday...
          J.B.