Re: Slovak language and culture program Studia Academica Slovaca (SAS)

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
      In 1982 I inquired about studying Slovak in Slovakia. At that time they replied that they only had openings for serious scholars.

      I am glad to see that changed, but it sure would have been handy having the course back then!

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
        Ron,
        To think that I could have met you then! I attended SAS in both 1982
        and 1983.

        All opinions my own

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
          I was at SAS in 1988 and 1990, it was a most interesting experience!

          helene

          ________________________________
          To think that I could have met you then! I attended SAS in both 1982
          and 1983.

          All opinions my own

          >>> "Ron" <amiak27@yahoo. com> 3/5/2010 11:20 AM >>>
          In 1982 I inquired about studying Slovak in Slovakia. At that time
          they replied that they only had openings for serious scholars.

          I am glad to see that changed, but it sure would have been handy having
          the course back then!

          Ron

          --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@...> wrote:

> [...]
          participating
          > (students, postgraduates, etc.);
          >
          > 3. did not receive a SAS scholarship in the past.
          >
          > Previous scholarship applications have no positive or negative
          bearing
          > on the decision-making process.
          >
          > All applicants will be informed of a decision on their application
          by
          > April 25, 2010, at the latest. Successful candidates will then
          apply
          > on-line individually, using a special scholarship code provided by
          the
          > Embassy. Unsuccessful candidates will still have an opportunity to
          > apply as full-tuition applicants. (Please do not apply on-line prior
          > receiving a scholarship decision! Applicants who apply on-line
          without
          > using the special scholarship code will be considered full-tuition

        • dragansk
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 6, 2010
            I was there in 1994. Great program.
            Dennis

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

            > I was at SAS in 1988 and 1990, it was a most interesting experience!
            >
            > helene
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Ron
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 6, 2010
              You all are making me JEALOUS, having all attended the SAS!

              At the time I was well into my engineering career in Alaska and enjoyed the (part time) life in the Bush with the Native peoples and their cultures. My interest in learning Slovak then was purely to speak to people and visit with family. It was tough enough finding books or histories on Slovakia in English, and the hopes of any academic pursuit of Slovak topics were null, particularly up here so far removed from any Slovak-American community.

              So that chance is past. I hope it works out this year with the Pittsburgh language program.

              Helen, it is fascinating to think of getting acquainted back then and then being S-W correspondents today...

              That is the year I flew from Alaska & joined my mother & sister from Ohio for a grand tour of Czechoslovakia. That is why I wanted some command of the language.

              Ron

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "dragansk" <dragansk@...> wrote:

              > I was there in 1994. Great program.
              > Dennis
              >
              > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I was at SAS in 1988 and 1990, it was a most interesting experience!
              > >
              > > helene

            • J.B. Bulharowski
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 6, 2010
                I too am jealous, all this tripping around and studying, particularly with the SAS. To think I could have learned to speak Slovak for free at the feet of my grandparents. I knew enough to get me in trouble and then they were gone, so the opportunities to learn dwindled with each passing year. I've been to the Czech Republic once and never made it to Slovakia. Someday...
                J.B.