Slovak language and culture program Studia Academica Slovaca (SAS)

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
      This info comes from the Slovak Embassy in Washington, D.C.

      The 46th Summer School of Slovak Language and Culture "Studia Academica
      Slovaca" (SAS) will be conducted under the auspices of the Faculty of
      Arts, Comenius University, Bratislava, with courses held in Bratislava,
      August 1st to August 21st, 2010.

      STUDIA ACADEMICA SLOVACA

      The prestigious "Studia Academica Slovaca" (SAS) program has been run
      by Comenius University in Bratislava for 46 years. The course, lasting
      from August 1 to August 21 this year, is designed for those studying the
      Slovak language and Slovak culture, and for Slavicists in general. This
      intensive program is offered especially to university or college
      professors, experienced teachers, postgraduates and advanced
      undergraduates of Slovak and Slavic studies, writers, translators, and
      all others interested in the Slovak language and culture. However, the
      course offers opportunities to study the Slovak language at any level of
      proficiency, including a beginner level. The aim of the course is to
      enable students to improve and expand their knowledge of the Slovak
      language, as well as to increase their level of expertise in Slovak
      literature and culture. More information about the course is available
      at < www.fphil.uniba.sk/sas >.

      Applications for the course must be submitted online at <
      www.e-slovak.sk/apply/ >, by May 15.

      To encourage applicants from the U.S., the Ministry of Education of the
      Slovak Republic is offering three scholarships for participants from the
      U.S. to SAS. (The scholarship does not cover travel and insurance.)

      SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION

      Applications for SAS scholarships must be submitted to the Embassy of
      the Slovak Republic, 3524 International Court, NW, Washington, DC.,
      20008. The deadline for scholarship applications is April 15, 2010.
      Applications may take the form of a letter, fax (202-237-6438), or email
      (< terezia.sajgalikova@... > - please put "Studia Academica Slovaca"
      as the subject) expressing an interest in a scholarship for Studia
      Academica Slovaca and including the applicant’s:

      Date of birth

      Permanent address

      Temporary address (if applicable)

      Nationality

      Citizenship

      Current employment

      Telephone number

      Fax (if available)

      E-mail address

      Indication whether the candidate has received a SAS scholarship in the
      past

      Applicant’s current Slovak language ability (proficiency:
      intermediate, beginner, etc.)

      Character of the applicant’s use of the Slovak language (to which of
      the Priority Groups (explained below) the applicant belongs).

      Receipt of a properly submitted application will be confirmed by the
      Embassy. If your application is not confirmed within three days of
      submission, please contact the Embassy immediately.

      Applicants for SAS scholarships will be selected according to these
      Priority Groups:

      1. University or college professors, experienced teachers, and
      postgraduates and advanced undergraduates of Slovak and Slavic studies
      in the U.S.;

      2. Writers, translators, journalists, and artists using the Slovak
      language in the U.S.;

      3. U.S. businessmen and employees of U.S.-based companies active in
      the Slovak Republic;

      4. Members of Slovak-American organizations and families;

      5. All others interested in the Slovak language and culture.

      Within the above-listed groups, priority will be given to those:

      1. whose work is perceived as most beneficial for promoting the Slovak
      language and culture in the U.S., or for promoting strong Slovak-U.S.
      relations;

      2. whose economic circumstances would prevent them from participating
      (students, postgraduates, etc.);

      3. did not receive a SAS scholarship in the past.

      Previous scholarship applications have no positive or negative bearing
      on the decision-making process.

      All applicants will be informed of a decision on their application by
      April 25, 2010, at the latest. Successful candidates will then apply
      on-line individually, using a special scholarship code provided by the
      Embassy. Unsuccessful candidates will still have an opportunity to
      apply as full-tuition applicants. (Please do not apply on-line prior to
      receiving a scholarship decision! Applicants who apply on-line without
      using the special scholarship code will be considered full-tuition
      applicants!)

    • Ron
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
        In 1982 I inquired about studying Slovak in Slovakia. At that time they replied that they only had openings for serious scholars.

        I am glad to see that changed, but it sure would have been handy having the course back then!

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
          Ron,
          To think that I could have met you then! I attended SAS in both 1982
          and 1983.

          All opinions my own

        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
            I was at SAS in 1988 and 1990, it was a most interesting experience!

            helene

            ________________________________
            To think that I could have met you then! I attended SAS in both 1982
            and 1983.

            All opinions my own

            >>> "Ron" <amiak27@yahoo. com> 3/5/2010 11:20 AM >>>
            In 1982 I inquired about studying Slovak in Slovakia. At that time
            they replied that they only had openings for serious scholars.

            I am glad to see that changed, but it sure would have been handy having
            the course back then!

            Ron

            --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, "Helen Fedor" <hfed@...> wrote:

> [...]
            participating
            > (students, postgraduates, etc.);
            >
            > 3. did not receive a SAS scholarship in the past.
            >
            > Previous scholarship applications have no positive or negative
            bearing
            > on the decision-making process.
            >
            > All applicants will be informed of a decision on their application
            by
            > April 25, 2010, at the latest. Successful candidates will then
            apply
            > on-line individually, using a special scholarship code provided by
            the
            > Embassy. Unsuccessful candidates will still have an opportunity to
            > apply as full-tuition applicants. (Please do not apply on-line prior
            > receiving a scholarship decision! Applicants who apply on-line
            without
            > using the special scholarship code will be considered full-tuition

          • dragansk
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 6, 2010
              I was there in 1994. Great program.
              Dennis

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

              > I was at SAS in 1988 and 1990, it was a most interesting experience!
              >
              > helene
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Ron
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 6, 2010
                You all are making me JEALOUS, having all attended the SAS!

                At the time I was well into my engineering career in Alaska and enjoyed the (part time) life in the Bush with the Native peoples and their cultures. My interest in learning Slovak then was purely to speak to people and visit with family. It was tough enough finding books or histories on Slovakia in English, and the hopes of any academic pursuit of Slovak topics were null, particularly up here so far removed from any Slovak-American community.

                So that chance is past. I hope it works out this year with the Pittsburgh language program.

                Helen, it is fascinating to think of getting acquainted back then and then being S-W correspondents today...

                That is the year I flew from Alaska & joined my mother & sister from Ohio for a grand tour of Czechoslovakia. That is why I wanted some command of the language.

                Ron

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "dragansk" <dragansk@...> wrote:

                > I was there in 1994. Great program.
                > Dennis
                >
                > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I was at SAS in 1988 and 1990, it was a most interesting experience!
                > >
                > > helene

              • J.B. Bulharowski
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 6, 2010
                  I too am jealous, all this tripping around and studying, particularly with the SAS. To think I could have learned to speak Slovak for free at the feet of my grandparents. I knew enough to get me in trouble and then they were gone, so the opportunities to learn dwindled with each passing year. I've been to the Czech Republic once and never made it to Slovakia. Someday...
                  J.B.