Re: "Food and Eating"--8

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2010
      > boiling "bryndza" (sheep's milk cheese) into
      > pieces [until it fell apart?].

      They were probably trying to render _rozvarit~_ "boil/cook X until it dissolves/falls apart."

      > Milk, sour milk, or cream mixed with flour served as a
      > thickener for mushes, particularly when podders, fruit, or
      > potatoes were cooked [were added?].

      Probably "people used X as thickeners, most commonly when they cooked Y."

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2010
        Do you ever work on Saturdays?  I am going to be in DC for an event.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2010
          No, the European Reading Room is closed on Saturdays, but the Visitors'
          Center is open on Saturdays and has public (architectural) tours at
          10:30am, 11:30am, 1:30pm, and 2:30pm. You don't need a reservation or
          ticket.

          You should check the SASW Web site < http://www.dcslovaks.org/ > to see
          if we have a talk scheduled for the day you'll be here.

          All opinions my own