Re: [Slovak-World] "Food and Eating"--8

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2010
      In searching for a recipe for demika't, just to satisfy my own
      curiosity, I came across this site <
      http://dobrejedlo.pluska.sk/dobre-jedlo/clanky/polievky/?page=4 >.

      All opinions my own

      >>> "Helen Fedor" <hfed@...> 3/4/2010 11:10:15 AM >>>
      My apologies for no food text yesterday, but I took off the day to go
      up
      to Philadelphia for the flower show and forgot to let you know ahead
      of
      time. But now I'm back, wishing that I had the original text for
      comparison, to make sure that I don't "mis-correct" anything.

      FOOD FROM ANIMALS

      “Milk Dishes”

      The traditional Slovak diet include mainly cow’s and sheep’s milk,
      and more rarely goat’s milk. Milk soups, sweet ones made by cooking
      pasta in boiling milk, or sour ones made by cooking whey or diluted
      curd, were among the most widespread dairy dishes. In the mountainous
      regions, a soup called“demika’t” was common. This was a common
      meal mainly for shepherds, and was made from boiling “bryndza”
      (sheep’s milk cheese) into pieces [until it fell apart?]. Most
      cereal
      gruels were cooked in millk. Milk, sour milk, or cream mixed with
      flour
      served as a thickener for mushes, particularly when podders, fruit, or
      potatoes were cooked [were added?].

      In the summer months, people tried to preserve any surplus of milk for
      later on. Sour milk was poured into fresher milk to make it turn sour
      quicker. The milk was also coagulated artificially, by using various
      vegetable juices or the stomachs of non-adult ruminant animals. Curd
      and sour cheese were made from milk.(14) Fresh curd, if it did not
      need
      to be sold, was consumed in the household. It was most commonly
      preserved by salting and packing the curd into vessels; as the curd
      aged, the upper layers were gradually eaten. In this way, the
      preserved
      curd was called “rotten” or “bitter” cheese. Curd also used
      be kneaded and formed into a conical shape, in which it slowly dried
      and
      became nearly as hard as a brick. However, in Slovak folk culture
      cheese production never developed the more exacting methods of
      production that are known, for example, in the Alpine countries or the
      Netherlands.

      All opinions my own
    • votrubam
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2010
        > boiling "bryndza" (sheep's milk cheese) into
        > pieces [until it fell apart?].

        They were probably trying to render _rozvarit~_ "boil/cook X until it dissolves/falls apart."

        > Milk, sour milk, or cream mixed with flour served as a
        > thickener for mushes, particularly when podders, fruit, or
        > potatoes were cooked [were added?].

        Probably "people used X as thickeners, most commonly when they cooked Y."

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2010
          Do you ever work on Saturdays?  I am going to be in DC for an event.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2010
            No, the European Reading Room is closed on Saturdays, but the Visitors'
            Center is open on Saturdays and has public (architectural) tours at
            10:30am, 11:30am, 1:30pm, and 2:30pm. You don't need a reservation or
            ticket.

            You should check the SASW Web site < http://www.dcslovaks.org/ > to see
            if we have a talk scheduled for the day you'll be here.

            All opinions my own