Happy Birthday songs?

  • Ben Sorensen
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 21, 2010
      Hey all,
      In Slovakia- a song "Z~ivijo" is sung to celebrate life- http://pesnicky.orava.sk/component/mjoosic/song/968-zivijo.html

      I was wondering.... how old is this song? What is that language? Is that a dialect, or is it an old precursor to Stur's (or Bernolak's) Slovak? Is it an import?

      Thank you!!!!
      Ben

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 4, 2010
        Slovenian? < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dF0rFWyfZU >

        There's another video < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHuQgwIRikM > with some Slavic-looking folks in a car (Hustai Nat'l Park is in Mongolia!) singing the song. Lubos, that's not yo in the back seat, is it?

        All opinions my own

        >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> 2/21/2010 11:11:54 PM >>>
        Hey all,
        In Slovakia- a song "Z~ivijo" is sung to celebrate life- http://pesnicky.orava.sk/component/mjoosic/song/968-zivijo.html

        I was wondering.... how old is this song? What is that language? Is that a dialect, or is it an old precursor to Stur's (or Bernolak's) Slovak? Is it an import?

        Thank you!!!!
        Ben

      • votrubam
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 4, 2010
          > What is that language?

          It is South Slavic (Croatian, Serbian) for "many years" and (approximately) "live."

          It's been around since the intellectuals promoted Slavic "mutuality" in the Habsburg monarchy. It's used among the Slovaks as an equivalent of singing "happy birthday" in English.

          Martin
        • Matchett
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 4, 2010
            I've heard this sung once and had never heard it before. Does anyone
            know where I can hear it sung on line so I can download it? My CZ-SK
            Annual Picnic is coming up in a week in Melbourne, FL, so if anyone
            there has a birthday I'd like to have it played over the sound system.

            Julia M.

            > Hey all,
            > In Slovakia- a song "Z~ivijo" is sung to celebrate life- http://pesnicky.orava.sk/component/mjoosic/song/968-zivijo.html
            >
            > I was wondering.... how old is this song? What is that language? Is
            > that a dialect, or is it an old precursor to Stur's (or Bernolak's)
            > Slovak? Is it an import?
            >
            > Thank you!!!!
            > Ben

          • Matchett