Re: [Slovak-World] Re: "Food and Eating"--6

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
      Martin,
      Thanks for the correction. My explanations are mostly based on experiences and I cannot remember who but it was an "official" that told me about the Idaho potato bugs.
      I guess the word mandelinky is dialectual. My housemate, (from Poltar and Rimavská Sobotá told me it was the same there.

      Please don't accuse me of being C~ech, just because I am one of those Zahoráci. :0) :0) :0)

      C~au,

      Vili

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
        The Germans still claim that we did that to them during the big war. Probably did. Sounds like a great idea to me. Sure a better idea than Agent Orange was.
        Jack Gergely
        Newport News

        Pasavka zemiakova in Slovak (mandelinka in Czech), i.e., the Coloradlo beetle. It appeared in Western Europe in the late 19th century, but didn't hit Central Europe until the middle of the 20th cent. Before effective spraying, the Communists organized the population at large to collect the beetles on particular days.

      • votrubam
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
          > Please don't accuse me of being C~ech, just because I am
          > one of those Zahoráci. :0) :0) :0)

          No accusation, they _are_ Czechs, aren't they?

          > from Poltar and Rimavská Sobotá told me it was the same there.

          Hmmm, maybe down there too?

          Indeed, Vilko, it wasn't a correction, just information. The beetle had been unknown, so the word needed to be invented. Prague came up with its word first, the Slovaks picked it up, and then Bratislava woke up and invented its own new name for it, but that was already too late for large numbers of Slovaks. The originally Czech word mandelinka is common all over.

          Martin
        • Lubos Brieda
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
            Hi Helen, I forgot if you speak Slovak or not, but if you do, there is a great book you may find interesting. It's called "S Vareškou Dvoma Tisícročiami" and it documents the evolution of food in the Bratislava region. I'll bring it to the next DC Slovaks meeting if I don't forget.

            -- Lubos Brieda --
            Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com
            hikes and travel: www.iamlubos.com

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2010
              Ahoj Lubos,
              Yes, I do know Slovak. I've never heard of this book, so I'd be very
              interested in seeing it.

              D'akujem,
              All opinions my own

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 4, 2010
                Hey all,
                In Slovakia- a song "Z~ivijo" is sung to celebrate life- http://pesnicky.orava.sk/component/mjoosic/song/968-zivijo.html

                I was wondering.... how old is this song? What is that language? Is that a dialect, or is it an old precursor to Stur's (or Bernolak's) Slovak? Is it an import?

                Thank you!!!!
                Ben