Re: "Food and Eating"--6

  • votrubam
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
      > [Meaning that the bread stayed fresh longer

      It is believed to stay softer for a longer time.

      Martin
    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
        Helen,

        Good article.

        Now let me see...............Zemiaky, Erteple, Bandurky, Grumbiery and a few more.

        When communists were in power, they told the people that the Americans flew over CZ and dropped potato bugs, [madolinka zemjaková], (slang).

        My Great aunt was there with me and while walking on the street, near a potato garden, there were many potato bugs on the sidewalk.

        Two ladies were also walking and great aunt Mary heard them "blame the Americans". She replied to them,"well if we gave you the potato bugs then you gave us Japanese beetles, (Japonský chrobáky)".

        In fact, we did give them the potato bugs but they were introduced from Idaho potatoes shipped to Europe after WWII, to feed the starving people.

        We Slovaks are Potato known to LOVE two kinds of food: Soup and potatoes, the latter, baked, boiled, broiled, fried, hot cold and yes, even sometimes raw.

        z Bohom,

        Vilko

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
          > potato bugs

          Pasavka zemiakova in Slovak (mandelinka in Czech), i.e., the Coloradlo beetle. It appeared in Western Europe in the late 19th century, but didn't hit Central Europe until the middle of the 20th cent. Before effective spraying, the Communists organized the population at large to collect the beetles on particular days.

          Martin
        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
            Martin,
            Thanks for the correction. My explanations are mostly based on experiences and I cannot remember who but it was an "official" that told me about the Idaho potato bugs.
            I guess the word mandelinky is dialectual. My housemate, (from Poltar and Rimavská Sobotá told me it was the same there.

            Please don't accuse me of being C~ech, just because I am one of those Zahoráci. :0) :0) :0)

            C~au,

            Vili

            ________________________________
            Pasavka zemiakova in Slovak (mandelinka in Czech), i.e., the Coloradlo beetle. It appeared in Western Europe in the late 19th century, but didn't hit Central Europe until the middle of the 20th cent. Before effective spraying, the Communists organized the population at large to collect the beetles on particular days.

          • Gergely
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
              The Germans still claim that we did that to them during the big war. Probably did. Sounds like a great idea to me. Sure a better idea than Agent Orange was.
              Jack Gergely
              Newport News

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
                > Please don't accuse me of being C~ech, just because I am
                > one of those Zahoráci. :0) :0) :0)

                No accusation, they _are_ Czechs, aren't they?

                > from Poltar and Rimavská Sobotá told me it was the same there.

                Hmmm, maybe down there too?

                Indeed, Vilko, it wasn't a correction, just information. The beetle had been unknown, so the word needed to be invented. Prague came up with its word first, the Slovaks picked it up, and then Bratislava woke up and invented its own new name for it, but that was already too late for large numbers of Slovaks. The originally Czech word mandelinka is common all over.

                Martin
              • Lubos Brieda
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
                  Hi Helen, I forgot if you speak Slovak or not, but if you do, there is a great book you may find interesting. It's called "S Vareškou Dvoma Tisícročiami" and it documents the evolution of food in the Bratislava region. I'll bring it to the next DC Slovaks meeting if I don't forget.

                  -- Lubos Brieda --
                  Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com
                  hikes and travel: www.iamlubos.com

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 2, 2010
                    Ahoj Lubos,
                    Yes, I do know Slovak. I've never heard of this book, so I'd be very
                    interested in seeing it.

                    D'akujem,
                    All opinions my own

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 4, 2010
                      Hey all,
                      In Slovakia- a song "Z~ivijo" is sung to celebrate life- http://pesnicky.orava.sk/component/mjoosic/song/968-zivijo.html

                      I was wondering.... how old is this song? What is that language? Is that a dialect, or is it an old precursor to Stur's (or Bernolak's) Slovak? Is it an import?

                      Thank you!!!!
                      Ben