"Food and Eating"--6

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
      Potatoes play an important role in the diet. Their cultivation spread
      to Slovakia from Western Europe, especially during the 19th century, and
      continued from the northern regions towards the south. Originally,
      whole potatoes were boiled or baked in their skins. More complicated
      methods came along gradually: soups, purees, side dishes, and fried in
      fat. Potato dishes were an important supplement to dishes made of
      cereals.

      During the frequent periods when there was no flour, potatoes were made
      into many dishes that are now considered part of Slovak tradition. Many
      kinds of pasta are prepared from a flour-and-potato dough, such as
      “halus~ky,” “s~ulance,” “pirohy,” and potato pancakes.
      In almost the whole of Slovakia, mashed potatoes also used to be added
      to bread dough, which not only gave it a better flavor, but also made it
      last longer [Meaning that the bread stayed fresh longer or that using
      potatoes made the flour “go farther” when there was little of it
      around?]. Potatoes also became an ingredient in a wide range of soups,
      where they were added to vegetables, podders, and sauerkraut. In
      mountainous regions, potatoes were also used as a filling in sausages.
      In recent decades they have also become a common side dish for meals
      containing meat. It can be said that in Slovakia the potato has become
      an equal partner to the foodstuffs that have been traditional for
      hundreds of years.(12)
    • votrubam
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
        > [Meaning that the bread stayed fresh longer

        It is believed to stay softer for a longer time.

        Martin
      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
          Helen,

          Good article.

          Now let me see...............Zemiaky, Erteple, Bandurky, Grumbiery and a few more.

          When communists were in power, they told the people that the Americans flew over CZ and dropped potato bugs, [madolinka zemjaková], (slang).

          My Great aunt was there with me and while walking on the street, near a potato garden, there were many potato bugs on the sidewalk.

          Two ladies were also walking and great aunt Mary heard them "blame the Americans". She replied to them,"well if we gave you the potato bugs then you gave us Japanese beetles, (Japonský chrobáky)".

          In fact, we did give them the potato bugs but they were introduced from Idaho potatoes shipped to Europe after WWII, to feed the starving people.

          We Slovaks are Potato known to LOVE two kinds of food: Soup and potatoes, the latter, baked, boiled, broiled, fried, hot cold and yes, even sometimes raw.

          z Bohom,

          Vilko

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
            > potato bugs

            Pasavka zemiakova in Slovak (mandelinka in Czech), i.e., the Coloradlo beetle. It appeared in Western Europe in the late 19th century, but didn't hit Central Europe until the middle of the 20th cent. Before effective spraying, the Communists organized the population at large to collect the beetles on particular days.

            Martin
          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
              Martin,
              Thanks for the correction. My explanations are mostly based on experiences and I cannot remember who but it was an "official" that told me about the Idaho potato bugs.
              I guess the word mandelinky is dialectual. My housemate, (from Poltar and Rimavská Sobotá told me it was the same there.

              Please don't accuse me of being C~ech, just because I am one of those Zahoráci. :0) :0) :0)

              C~au,

              Vili

              ________________________________
              Pasavka zemiakova in Slovak (mandelinka in Czech), i.e., the Coloradlo beetle. It appeared in Western Europe in the late 19th century, but didn't hit Central Europe until the middle of the 20th cent. Before effective spraying, the Communists organized the population at large to collect the beetles on particular days.

            • Gergely
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
                The Germans still claim that we did that to them during the big war. Probably did. Sounds like a great idea to me. Sure a better idea than Agent Orange was.
                Jack Gergely
                Newport News

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
                  > Please don't accuse me of being C~ech, just because I am
                  > one of those Zahoráci. :0) :0) :0)

                  No accusation, they _are_ Czechs, aren't they?

                  > from Poltar and Rimavská Sobotá told me it was the same there.

                  Hmmm, maybe down there too?

                  Indeed, Vilko, it wasn't a correction, just information. The beetle had been unknown, so the word needed to be invented. Prague came up with its word first, the Slovaks picked it up, and then Bratislava woke up and invented its own new name for it, but that was already too late for large numbers of Slovaks. The originally Czech word mandelinka is common all over.

                  Martin
                • Lubos Brieda
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 1, 2010
                    Hi Helen, I forgot if you speak Slovak or not, but if you do, there is a great book you may find interesting. It's called "S Vareškou Dvoma Tisícročiami" and it documents the evolution of food in the Bratislava region. I'll bring it to the next DC Slovaks meeting if I don't forget.

                    -- Lubos Brieda --
                    Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com
                    hikes and travel: www.iamlubos.com

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 2, 2010
                      Ahoj Lubos,
                      Yes, I do know Slovak. I've never heard of this book, so I'd be very
                      interested in seeing it.

                      D'akujem,
                      All opinions my own

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 4, 2010
                        Hey all,
                        In Slovakia- a song "Z~ivijo" is sung to celebrate life- http://pesnicky.orava.sk/component/mjoosic/song/968-zivijo.html

                        I was wondering.... how old is this song? What is that language? Is that a dialect, or is it an old precursor to Stur's (or Bernolak's) Slovak? Is it an import?

                        Thank you!!!!
                        Ben