Need a translation

  • Eve Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2010
      I have a very small table cloth with the following words:

      Kde se dobre vari, tam se dobre dari.

      It is white embroidered in blue and has a picture of a brick stove and a
      girl in front of it.

      I would think my grandmother brought this with her from Slovakia. (That is the Slovak language?)

    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2010
        Evic~ká,

        Kde se, (sa) dobre vari, tam se, (sa) dobre dari. This is Czech but just replace the se with sa and It is Slovak.

        Vilo

        ( My try: where there is good cooking there is a gift)

        I understand it but am unable to translate to provide a true meaning. Maybe Martin can.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2010
          Roughly: "Where one cooks well, there one gets on (or does ) well."

          I'll defer to the native speakers... :)

          On Feb 27, 2010, at 6:28 PM, Eve Smith wrote:

          > I have a very small table cloth with the following words:
          >
          > Kde se dobre vari, tam se dobre dari.
          >
          > It is white embroidered in blue and has a picture of a brick stove
          > and a
          > girl in front of it.
          >
          > I would think my grandmother brought this with her from Slovakia.
          > (That is the Slovak language?)

        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27, 2010
            Hi Eve,

               Would you believe it - this is a cloth to hang on the wall like a sampler. They were very popular a number of years ago and were found hanging in many, many kitchens.

            The pictures on them and the verses vary all over the map from religious to funny.

            it's a nice family heirloom - maybe you will find a place to hang it in your home.

            helene

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2010
              This saying is very popular. My grandma has in fact a similar cloth in her own kitchen. It means: where there is good cooking, there things go well. Quite a true statement, I think...

              -- Lubos Brieda --
              Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com
              hikes and travel: www.iamlubos.com