Skiing in Pittsburgh?

  • ajdolli
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 24, 2010
      Check out this video of Pittsburghers skiing on our 'mountains:'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COQk76u0DU8

      And if you've never seen Pittsburgh's parking chairs, look at the slide show here: http://www.popcitymedia.com/features/slidechairs022410.aspx

      Anabeth
    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 24, 2010

        The first time I ever was in Pittsburgh -- (I'm from the flat as a pancake midwest) -- my question was -- how on EARTH do old ladies do their grocery shopping in February in this town -- and my second was -- how on EARTH do cars stay parked and not in heaps at the bottom of all these wickedly inclined side streets?????

        Then again, I suppose Pittsburghers feel really sorry for us wondering how kids here ever get a "sled" up or down our nonexistent hills.

        Caye

        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 24, 2010
          I don't understand the Pittsburgh parking chairs thing. Can you explain?

          Frank

          Pittsburgh Born

          _____

          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 24, 2010
            Anabeth:

            That's a dandy! I love Pittsburgh, spent a lot of time there a long time ago, when I was a kid. Do you live there? Thanks.
            JB

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 24, 2010
              It used to be a tradition in Oakland - the Pittsburgh Oakland - to put chairs out in the parking space in front of your house or apartment to reserve your parking spot during Pirates games at Forbes Field. Is that what they are referring to?
              Jack Gergely
              Newport News

              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 24, 2010
                Not just Pittsburgh; it must be a Pennsylvania thing. Folks used to do that in my old home town on the Eastern part of the state. Reservations anyone?
                Pennsylvania Born

                JB

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 24, 2010
                  It's a Chicago thing too. Once you've put time and effort into digging out a parking space in the snow, you want to make sure that no one else takes it, so you put a "space-holder", usually a chair (often an old kitchen chair, in Chicago, at least) to mark the spot as "reserved".

                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 24, 2010
                    Yep, reservations.
                    We had a spot in front of Aunt Helen's house on Bates and Semple during every home game weekends. Watched many games - from the 7th inning on after the gates were opened.
                    Jack Gergely
                    Newport News

                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 24, 2010
                      When you have no driveway and have to park on the street, after you've spent 3 hours shovelling the snow from around your car so you can get out, you put a chair there when you drive away. It's a sign to keep other people from taking the spot. It's illegal, but everyone does it when there are big snowfalls. When the snow melts away enough so you can park anywhere, the chairs disappear.

                      The local paper had a picture of one whimsical spot that had a chair, a card table, a vase of flowers, and a nice reading lamp!

                      Joe

                    • Anabeth Dollins
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 24, 2010
                        Caye -- People in the midwest (I grew up there) can DRIVE in snow. It's
                        scary here in Pittsburgh.

                        Re shopping: at the first prediction of snow showers, the grocery stores
                        fill up with people buying milk, bread, and toilet paper. Some groceries had
                        parking lots that were so full there was no place to park.

                        Re parking: the problem is the opposite of what you asked. Cars are parked
                        on bare ground and are covered with snow. The snow keeps them in place!

                        I remember Yankee Ridge in Urbana, IL. Sounds high, right? It was about
                        seven feet higher than the surrounding area.

                        Anabeth

                        On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                        > The first time I ever was in Pittsburgh -- (I'm from the flat as a pancake
                        > midwest) -- my question was -- how on EARTH do old ladies do their grocery
                        > shopping in February in this town -- and my second was -- how on EARTH do
                        > cars stay parked and not in heaps at the bottom of all these wickedly
                        > inclined side streets?????
                        >

                        > Then again, I suppose Pittsburghers feel really sorry for us wondering how
                        > kids here ever get a "sled" up or down our nonexistent hills.
                        >

                        > Caye
                        >
                        > --- On Wed, 2/24/10, ajdolli <anabeth@... <anabeth%40gmail.com>>
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        > From: ajdolli <anabeth@... <anabeth%40gmail.com>>
                        >
                        > Subject: [Slovak-World] Skiing in Pittsburgh?
                        > To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com <Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > Date: Wednesday, February 24, 2010, 8:54 AM
                        >

                        > Check out this video of Pittsburghers skiing on our 'mountains:'
                        > http://www.youtube com/watch? v=COQk76u0DU8
                        >
                        > And if you've never seen Pittsburgh's parking chairs, look at the slide
                        > show here: http://www.popcitym edia.com/ features/ slidechairs02241 0.aspx
                        >
                        > Anabeth

                      • Caye Caswick
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 24, 2010

                          Hi Anabeth,

                          Yeah, some of our potholes can be considered steep grades, but everything here is level -- everything.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 24, 2010
                            Ah, DC's sacred threesome. You can also throw in kitty litter (even among non-cat owners), although it's less common.

                            >>> Anabeth Dollins <anabeth@...> 2/24/2010 11:19 AM >>>
                            Caye -- People in the midwest (I grew up there) can DRIVE in snow. It's
                            scary here in Pittsburgh.

                            Re shopping: at the first prediction of snow showers, the grocery stores
                            fill up with people buying milk, bread, and toilet paper. Some groceries had
                            parking lots that were so full there was no place to park.

                            Re parking: the problem is the opposite of what you asked. Cars are parked
                            on bare ground and are covered with snow. The snow keeps them in place!

                            I remember Yankee Ridge in Urbana, IL. Sounds high, right? It was about
                            seven feet higher than the surrounding area.

                            Anabeth

                            On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                            > The first time I ever was in Pittsburgh -- (I'm from the flat as a pancake
                            > midwest) -- my question was -- how on EARTH do old ladies do their grocery
                            > shopping in February in this town -- and my second was -- how on EARTH do
                            > cars stay parked and not in heaps at the bottom of all these wickedly
                            > inclined side streets?????
                            >

                            > Then again, I suppose Pittsburghers feel really sorry for us wondering how
                            > kids here ever get a "sled" up or down our nonexistent hills.
                            >

                            > Caye
                            >
                            > --- On Wed, 2/24/10, ajdolli <anabeth@... <anabeth%40gmail.com>>
                            > wrote:
                            >
                            > From: ajdolli <anabeth@... <anabeth%40gmail.com>>
                            >
                            > Subject: [Slovak-World] Skiing in Pittsburgh?
                            > To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com <Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com>
                            > Date: Wednesday, February 24, 2010, 8:54 AM
                            >

                            > Check out this video of Pittsburghers skiing on our 'mountains:'
                            > http://www.youtube com/watch? v=COQk76u0DU8
                            >
                            > And if you've never seen Pittsburgh's parking chairs, look at the slide
                            > show here: http://www.popcitym edia.com/ features/ slidechairs02241 0.aspx
                            >
                            > Anabeth

                          • Marycay Doolittle
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 24, 2010
                              Add Troy, NY to the list. Putting chairs in your parking spot insured a place when returning home from where ever. It was funny to me when I first saw this. I think the authorities have been trying to put a stop to this practice.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 24, 2010
                                Chairs to reserve a parking spot seems quite civilized. The "authorities" should stay out of peaceful customs or arrangements people make to regulate their lives, as they do in this case.

                                I just got home from a 10 day mini-vacation flying to Washington State to join a friend bringing a car back to Alaska on the Alaska ferry system (Marine Highway). We had three days of beautiful, calm sailing up the Inland Passage followed by the 830 mile drive through Canada and Alaska to get back to Anchorage. We crossed three mountain passes on mostly dry and clear roads. It was more like late springtime than mid-winter!

                                It is a good and economical way to tour Alaska's coast and get to know the local people.

                                Thanks to all of you back East who have taken all of the nasty snow storms from us! We have a nice supply of recreational snow.

                                Ron

                                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Marycay Doolittle" <marycayd@...> wrote:

                                > Add Troy, NY to the list. Putting chairs in your parking spot insured a place when returning home from where ever. It was funny to me when I first saw this. I think the authorities have been trying to put a stop to this practice.

                              • Marycay Doolittle
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 24, 2010
                                  Awe, your trip sounds lovely. In the capital district of upstate NY we're digging out from 10-26" of heavy wet snow depending on where you live. I'm in Albany and we have 10" with more predicted. Temps are mild so it won't last and actually a late winter storm is kind of nice.

                                  Chairs to reserve a parking spot seems quite civilized. The "authorities" should stay out of peaceful customs or arrangements people make to regulate their lives, as they do in this case.

                                  I just got home from a 10 day mini-vacation flying to Washington State to join a friend bringing a car back to Alaska on the Alaska ferry system (Marine Highway). We had three days of beautiful, calm sailing up the Inland Passage followed by the 830 mile drive through Canada and Alaska to get back to Anchorage. We crossed three mountain passes on mostly dry and clear roads. It was more like late springtime than mid-winter!

                                  It is a good and economical way to tour Alaska's coast and get to know the local people.

                                  Thanks to all of you back East who have taken all of the nasty snow storms from us! We have a nice supply of recreational snow.

                                  Ron

                                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Marycay Doolittle" <marycayd@...> wrote:

                                  > Add Troy, NY to the list. Putting chairs in your parking spot insured a place when returning home from where ever. It was funny to me when I first saw this. I think the authorities have been trying to put a stop to this practice.

                                • Nick Holcz
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 24, 2010
                                    No skiing in Perth Western Australia. Temperature today 42C / 108F.
                                    No problems parking in most homes here because we have driveways.

                                    Laskavy Prosim

                                    Nick
                                  • William C. Wormuth
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 24, 2010
                                      Marycaye,

                                      I am in Johnstown, NY.

                                      Vilo

                                      ________________________________
                                      Awe, your trip sounds lovely. In the capital district of upstate NY we're digging out from 10-26" of heavy wet snow depending on where you live. I'm in Albany and we have 10" with more predicted. Temps are mild so it won't last and actually a late winter storm is kind of nice.

                                      Chairs to reserve a parking spot seems quite civilized. The "authorities" should stay out of peaceful customs or arrangements people make to regulate their lives, as they do in this case.

                                      I just got home from a 10 day mini-vacation flying to Washington State to join a friend bringing a car back to Alaska on the Alaska ferry system (Marine Highway). We had three days of beautiful, calm sailing up the Inland Passage followed by the 830 mile drive through Canada and Alaska to get back to Anchorage. We crossed three mountain passes on mostly dry and clear roads. It was more like late springtime than mid-winter!

                                      It is a good and economical way to tour Alaska's coast and get to know the local people.

                                      Thanks to all of you back East who have taken all of the nasty snow storms from us! We have a nice supply of recreational snow.

                                      Ron

                                      --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, "Marycay Doolittle" <marycayd@.. .> wrote:

                                      > Add Troy, NY to the list. Putting chairs in your parking spot insured a place when returning home from where ever. It was funny to me when I first saw this. I think the authorities have been trying to put a stop to this practice.

                                    • Paul M. Paulochik
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 25, 2010
                                        Friday night, semi-finals of the Olympic men's Hockey, Canada vs Slovakia.

                                        Okay, Vladi, any who are you rooting for? :-)

                                        Paul Paulochik
                                        paulpaulochik@...

                                      • Vladimir Linder
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Feb 25, 2010
                                          OF COURSE SLOVAKIA

                                          Vladi

                                          > Friday night, semi-finals of the Olympic men's Hockey, Canada vs
                                          > Slovakia.
                                          > Okay, Vladi, any who are you rooting for? :-)
                                          >

                                          > Paul Paulochik
                                          > paulpaulochik@...

                                        • amiak27
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 25, 2010
                                            We sailed by the Olympics on the Alaska Ferry on Friday evening. One crew member and some passengers were looking for the Olympic flame from the ship, but it was not visible from sea. There were reports that it was visible during the lighting ceremony.

                                            We could see the lights of the city and some lighted ski slopes. Hotels down to Bellingham WA were full of people attending the Olympics.

                                            > OF COURSE SLOVAKIA

                                            Ron

                                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Vladimir Linder <vlinder49@...> wrote:

                                            > OF COURSE SLOVAKIA
                                            >

                                            > Vladi

                                          • Matchett
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 27, 2010
                                              It was an exciting end to last night's Canada (3) vs. Slovakia (2)
                                              game. The Slovak team really tried hard at the end to tie the game.
                                              Too bad they lost. When it was over, the Slovak team raised their
                                              hockey sticks and saluted the Canadian fans. Good sports. I hope
                                              Slovakia gets the Bronze tonight.

                                              The commentator said the Slovakia vs. Sweden game was still going on
                                              at 8:30 a.m. when the children started school in Slovakia. The
                                              children were taken into a gym to watch the ending. Don't know where
                                              that occurred or if they did it throughout Slovakia. National pride!

                                              Julia M.
                                            • Vladimir Linder
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 27, 2010
                                                Sen the game LIVE FANTASTIC, took over 700 pictures

                                                At 10:47 AM 2/27/2010, you wrote:

                                                >It was an exciting end to last night's Canada (3) vs. Slovakia (2)
                                                >game. The Slovak team really tried hard at the end to tie the game.
                                                >Too bad they lost. When it was over, the Slovak team raised their
                                                >hockey sticks and saluted the Canadian fans. Good sports. I hope
                                                >Slovakia gets the Bronze tonight.
                                                >
                                                >The commentator said the Slovakia vs. Sweden game was still going on
                                                >at 8:30 a.m. when the children started school in Slovakia. The
                                                >children were taken into a gym to watch the ending. Don't know where
                                                >that occurred or if they did it throughout Slovakia. National pride!
                                                >
                                                >Julia M.

                                              • Vladimir Linder
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Feb 27, 2010
                                                  And tonight will be a great day for SLOVAK HOCKEY
                                                  as it will be the BRONZE MEDAL, for sure. Will be at the game.

                                                  Vladi

                                                  You can't imagine what is in town, the euphoria, once in the life time.

                                                  Vladi

                                                  At 01:34 PM 2/27/2010, you wrote:

                                                  >Sen the game LIVE FANTASTIC, took over 700 pictures
                                                  >
                                                  >At 10:47 AM 2/27/2010, you wrote:
                                                  > >

                                                  > >It was an exciting end to last night's Canada (3) vs. Slovakia (2)
                                                  > >game. The Slovak team really tried hard at the end to tie the game.
                                                  > >Too bad they lost. When it was over, the Slovak team raised their
                                                  > >hockey sticks and saluted the Canadian fans. Good sports. I hope
                                                  > >Slovakia gets the Bronze tonight.
                                                  > >
                                                  > >The commentator said the Slovakia vs. Sweden game was still going on
                                                  > >at 8:30 a.m. when the children started school in Slovakia. The
                                                  > >children were taken into a gym to watch the ending. Don't know where
                                                  > >that occurred or if they did it throughout Slovakia. National pride!
                                                  > >
                                                  > >Julia M.

                                                • Michelle Burke
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Feb 28, 2010
                                                    This is certainly not limited to Pennsylvania!  There's a book here in Chicago of the "space-saving" obstacles cretaed during a blizzardy Chicago winter thirty years ago.  Not in ordinary winters, though -- the cops go out and make you move that stuff it's just an ordinary snowfall...