More Pictures (Slovakia/Georgia)

  • mccoy4984
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 20, 2010
      I posted some more pictures of a monastery in Georgia and downtown Kosice, Slovakia. As always, I encourage you to comment on the blog and let me know what you think. Oh, be sure to click the pictures for an enlarged view.

      http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/

      Russ
    • e.gernat@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 20, 2010
        Russ,   I    really enjoy the pictures. Sorry I haven't commented before.   Everytime I see them I get home sick for Slovakia.  Been there 6 times. Edie,

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 21, 2010
          Thanks, Edie! I appreciate the kind words.

          Russ

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, e.gernat@... wrote:

          > Russ,   I    really enjoy the pictures. Sorry I haven't commented before.   Everytime I see them I get home sick for Slovakia.  Been there 6 times. Edie,

        • Claudia Medvik
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 21, 2010
            They are so wonderful!, Its a miracle all this survived WWII and the soviets...

            To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
            From: mccoy4984@...
            Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:06:32 +0000
            Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: More Pictures (Slovakia/Georgia)

            Thanks, Edie! I appreciate the kind words.

            Russ
            http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, e.gernat@... wrote:

            > Russ, � � I� � � � really enjoy the pictures. Sorry I haven't commented before.� � Everytime I see them I get home sick for Slovakia.� Been there 6 times. Edie,� � �

          • Ben Sorensen
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 21, 2010
              Hey all,
              In Slovakia- a song "Z~ivijo" is sung to celebrate life- http://pesnicky.orava.sk/component/mjoosic/song/968-zivijo.html

              I was wondering.... how old is this song? What is that language? Is that a dialect, or is it an old precursor to Stur's (or Bernolak's) Slovak? Is it an import?

              Thank you!!!!
              Ben

            • Ben Sorensen

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 22, 2010
                  Thank you, Claudia!

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Claudia Medvik <cmmedvik@...> wrote:

                  > They are so wonderful!, Its a miracle all this survived WWII and the soviets...
                  >

                  > To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: mccoy4984@...
                  > Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:06:32 +0000
                  > Subject: [Slovak-World] Re: More Pictures (Slovakia/Georgia)
                  >

                  > Thanks, Edie! I appreciate the kind words.
                  >
                  > Russ
                  > http://travldawrld.blogspot.com/
                  >
                  > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, e.gernat@ wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Russ,   I    really enjoy the pictures. Sorry I haven't commented before.  Everytime I see them I get home sick for Slovakia. Been there 6 times. Edie,  Â

                • George Sirko
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 22, 2010
                    Thanks Russ. Pictures are Great.
                    George

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 23, 2010
                      Thanks to you for checking them out, George!

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 4, 2010
                        Slovenian? < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dF0rFWyfZU >

                        There's another video < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHuQgwIRikM > with some Slavic-looking folks in a car (Hustai Nat'l Park is in Mongolia!) singing the song. Lubos, that's not yo in the back seat, is it?

                        All opinions my own

                        >>> Ben Sorensen <cerrunos1@...> 2/21/2010 11:11:54 PM >>>
                        Hey all,
                        In Slovakia- a song "Z~ivijo" is sung to celebrate life- http://pesnicky.orava.sk/component/mjoosic/song/968-zivijo.html

                        I was wondering.... how old is this song? What is that language? Is that a dialect, or is it an old precursor to Stur's (or Bernolak's) Slovak? Is it an import?

                        Thank you!!!!
                        Ben

                      • votrubam
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 4, 2010
                          > What is that language?

                          It is South Slavic (Croatian, Serbian) for "many years" and (approximately) "live."

                          It's been around since the intellectuals promoted Slavic "mutuality" in the Habsburg monarchy. It's used among the Slovaks as an equivalent of singing "happy birthday" in English.

                          Martin
                        • Matchett
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 4, 2010
                            I've heard this sung once and had never heard it before. Does anyone
                            know where I can hear it sung on line so I can download it? My CZ-SK
                            Annual Picnic is coming up in a week in Melbourne, FL, so if anyone
                            there has a birthday I'd like to have it played over the sound system.

                            Julia M.

                            > Hey all,
                            > In Slovakia- a song "Z~ivijo" is sung to celebrate life- http://pesnicky.orava.sk/component/mjoosic/song/968-zivijo.html
                            >
                            > I was wondering.... how old is this song? What is that language? Is
                            > that a dialect, or is it an old precursor to Stur's (or Bernolak's)
                            > Slovak? Is it an import?
                            >
                            > Thank you!!!!
                            > Ben

                          • Matchett