Hi Speed Train Bratislava to Kosice

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 16, 2010

      The Slovak cousins did admit that there are talks of a hi speed train; however, they say it's just talk and if it does happen it won't be anytime in 10 years or so -- so I guess same as the one we keep talking about here between St. Louis and Chicago -- lotsa talk, no action.

    • Paul Guzowski
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 17, 2010
        Caye and fellow members,

        When I was in Slovakia, I took the train from Bratislava to Kosice and
        back one weekend. It was a regular inter-city express (ICE) for most of
        the way then a local connector train for the last few kilometers. The
        whole trip was less than five hours. One of our guys used to fly if he
        needed to go there for a one-day meeting and the fares were not
        terrible.

        In my opinion, unless Slovakia has some pressing need for a high-speed
        rail link or unless the EU wants it and is willing to subsidize
        construction, I think finishing the motorway between Nitra and Zvolen
        would be a better idea. Later it could be extended to Ruzomberok to
        the north and Kosice to the east. I think Slovakia and the Slovak
        people would benefit more from a modernized road structure in the
        interior of the country than a high-speed passenger rail link between
        Bratislava and Kosice.

        Just my two cents.

        Paul in NW Florida
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 17, 2010
          That would make too much sense (cents?), Paul.

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 17, 2010

            Those couplea centses will keep my cousins' father employed -- he builds bridges, highways, infrastructure, etc.  --  so sounds as if he'll have a job for a while to come.

            Caye

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 17, 2010
              Best to check out air fares from bratislava to kosice. With the fall of Skye Europe my friend was quoted over $300 for a one way fare bratislava to kosice this June.

              Is Czech Air fading out of the picture? none of the web sites show any CSA flights. Last year CSA fares seemed like $200 - $300 more than the other airlines. Right now the best fares seem to be  - don't laugh - going from Rochester NY to Chicago to Warsaw to Vienna on LOT, the Polish airline. Talk about one step back - smile

              helene

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 18, 2010
                Helene et al,

                Yes, the fall of Sky Europe was sad but if the demand is there I'm sure
                other airlines will fill the gap. As for $300 for a one way ticket, it
                has been my experience that one-way tickets are often more expensive
                than round trip ones.

                That said, I found a site which searches airline web pages for low fares
                and you can search for fares from Bratislava to Kosice. Take a look
                here: http://www.edreams.com/flights/bratislava-kosice/

                Paul in NW Florida
              • Paul Guzowski
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 18, 2010
                  PS...

                  Just for reference, I checked flights in the US of about the same
                  distance as Bratislava-Kosice. Cheapest fares are mid-week
                  departure/return and this is what I found:

                  Philly-Pittsburgh Round trip: $154 One way: $82.70

                  Pensacola-Orlando Round trip: $256.80 One way: $166.40

                  These fares are as low as they are because we have more airlines and
                  more competition in the US.

                  Paul in NW Florida
                • helene cincebeaux
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 18, 2010
                    hi paul - thanks so much. I did try it for a summer fare and screen said done but was blank - will try again. Neat that it gives a variety of flights and spotlights the least expensive. I didn't know that Malev flew BTS to Kosice.

                    helene

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 19, 2010
                      This was great info Paul. But I could not come up with a direct flight. There is a plane transfer in Budapest. So, the cheapest flight takes 7 hours from departure to arrival at $59.00 The most expensive flight will get you there in 3 1/2 hours, but with a cost of $642.00 one way, on a Tuesday in May. Quite a price difference for a few hours.
                      How long does the train take?
                      Barbara

                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Paul Guzowski <guzowskip@...> wrote:

                      > Helene et al,
                      >
                      > Yes, the fall of Sky Europe was sad but if the demand is there I'm sure
                      > other airlines will fill the gap. As for $300 for a one way ticket, it
                      > has been my experience that one-way tickets are often more expensive
                      > than round trip ones.
                      >
                      > That said, I found a site which searches airline web pages for low fares
                      > and you can search for fares from Bratislava to Kosice. Take a look
                      > here: http://www.edreams.com/flights/bratislava-kosice/
                      >
                      > Paul in NW Florida

                    • Paul Guzowski
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 20, 2010
                        Barbara et al,

                        As I recall, the train trip from Bratislava to Kosice was about five
                        hours with one change from the intercity express to a local train for
                        the last few kilometers. As for air fares, well there must not be much
                        demand to fly from Bratislava to Kosice otherwise there would be
                        competition and lower prices.

                        If Kosice or Poprad were a holiday destination, perhaps there would be
                        more demand, at least during peak holiday periods. Some of the low cost
                        airlines in Europe only fly to certain destinations during holiday
                        periods when the demand is there.

                        Regarding flight times, a non-stop flight from Bratislava to Kosice
                        should only be just over an hour in a jet and less than two hours in a
                        turboprop so the flight times you quoted must have included at least one
                        stop.

                        Hope this helps and good luck with your travel planning.

                        Paul in NW FL
                      • helene cincebeaux
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 20, 2010
                          I like Slovak trains but a few things to know - they are really hard with large suitcases, have to go up and down a lot of stairs, getting up onto the train is hard sometimes no one to help and opening is narrow and then getting thru the narrow aisles and then in the compartments have to heft your suitcase way up over your head to stow it as there is barely foot room for the 6 - 8 people.

                          However Slovak buses and trains are one the last bargains left there. Be sure to check out the new bus services like yellow bus and student's bus, not just for students. In a bus you get help stowing luggage underneath.

                          Went Piestany to Puchov in Jan. by train and was warned by all that the train station was really far from town. It was and no taxis around but then i was told to hop on the waiting bus that took me to town and the city bus station - they have the bus all set up to coordinate with train arrivals and it only cost half a euro. It was great and the driver was soo nice.

                          Took bus Piestany to Bratislava - it was super - cost a bit over 4 euros (with buses you can buy your ticket on the bus but not so with trains). Taxi from piestany spa hotel to the bus station a ten minute trip cost more - 7 euros than the hour and a half trip to Bratislava. I learned that the taxi fare from piestany to bratislava would have been 90 euros.

                          helene

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 20, 2010
                            Hi all,

                            I just wanted to add my 2 cents about the trains in Slovakia. With one of
                            my daughters, I visited relatives in Bratislava and Kravany (near Poprad)
                            last October. I took a train into Bratislava from Vienna; then took a train
                            from Bratislava to Poprad; and finally took a train from Poprad to Prague.
                            The trains were wonderful--clean and on time. I understand what Helene is
                            saying about the suitcases, but if you are an average-size man, it is not
                            too difficult to hoist the suitcases up onto the racks above the seats.
                            And, if you go first class, then you have even more room with your luggage.
                            I've taken trains on my last two trips to Slovakia, and I think it's the
                            best way to travel from "big" city to "big" city in the country.

                            ....and the beautiful countryside views from the trains are to me so
                            memorable.

                            Take care.

                            Jim Dubelko