Czechoslovak brigade

  • Nick Holcz
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2010
      I have received some information from the British archives
      regarding the political position on using the Czechoslovak Brigade in battle.
      Basically the British decided that Benes would need trained troops
      loyal to him on their eventual return to Czechoslovakia and that the
      brigade was the only foreseeable source of these troops. Balancing
      the need of the brigade to take part in serious combat to have any
      credibility at home with the small number available was considered a
      serious dilemma.

      I also learnt that the were about 1000 Czechoslovaks in an anti
      aircraft unit in the middle east
      Nick
    • Nick Holcz
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2010
        Help wanted.
        I have written to the British army personnel centre to try to get my
        father's army records.
        They told me the records were returned to Prague. My question is can
        I write to the Archive in English and expect a response or will I
        need to get my request translated?

        Nick