Re:need software

  • Paul Guzowski
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2010
      Julianna et al,

      I'm not sure if I have posted this to Slovak-World before so will add in
      my two cents. Let me say up front that I have no interest, financial or
      otherwise in any software company or product so what I will say is
      merely my opinion.

      After a lot of research and reading what others had to say about various
      genealogy software products, I chose Genealogy J (aka GenJ) for my
      family tree database. Genealogy J is Free Open Source Software (FOSS)
      so you can download it, use it, re-distribute it, and even modify it if
      you want and it's completely free. Because of this, there are a lot of
      programmers working on it all the time so it is always current and you
      never have to pay for an update.

      GenJ is written in Java so it is platform independent and will run on
      any machine that has Java installed. This was attractive to me as I am
      running Linux on my machines and my brother is running Windows and some
      of my relatives are using MACs but we can all run GenJ. GenJ also
      reads/writes GEDCOM files which are the genealogy standard. This means
      that I can share my family tree with my family and relatives regardless
      of what operating system they have on their computer and they can open
      and edit the file with GenJ then send it back to me so we can
      collaborate electronically to build the family history database.

      GenJ offers family tree, table, time line views and more. With GenJ you
      can store photos, images, and video/audio clips, too. It is available
      in German, French, Spanish, Russian, Polish, and Hungarian so It handles
      unicode (diacritics) just fine.

      GenJ is easy to install because there is nothing to install. You just
      run the java file. Of course you can modify the source code to so some
      special thing you need it to do but I haven't found anything I needed or
      wanted to do that wasn't already included. GenJ was easy for me to
      learn. All the menus are context sensitive and the documentation is
      adequate to get started working with your genealogy data.

      Well, enough rambling about GenJ. If you want to check it out and
      perhaps download it, you can do so here:

      http://genj.sourceforge.net/wiki/en/manual/context

      As I said, just my two cents but I hope you may find them useful.

      Paul in NW Florida