need software

  • Julmarie58@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2010
      Hi,
      I need some advice or help in deciding on software to do my family tree. I had it all on my Mac computer which had Reunion as the software. I no longer have a Mac computer.
      I see that Legacy Family Tree is a free download, I think. Also I have looked into Roots Magic and it has a free one and one to buy for $29.95 which is a good price.
      Is Family Tree Maker another one and what is this cost?
      Does anyone have any of these please comment?
      Thanks Julianna
    • Paul Guzowski
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2010
        Julianna et al,

        I'm not sure if I have posted this to Slovak-World before so will add in
        my two cents. Let me say up front that I have no interest, financial or
        otherwise in any software company or product so what I will say is
        merely my opinion.

        After a lot of research and reading what others had to say about various
        genealogy software products, I chose Genealogy J (aka GenJ) for my
        family tree database. Genealogy J is Free Open Source Software (FOSS)
        so you can download it, use it, re-distribute it, and even modify it if
        you want and it's completely free. Because of this, there are a lot of
        programmers working on it all the time so it is always current and you
        never have to pay for an update.

        GenJ is written in Java so it is platform independent and will run on
        any machine that has Java installed. This was attractive to me as I am
        running Linux on my machines and my brother is running Windows and some
        of my relatives are using MACs but we can all run GenJ. GenJ also
        reads/writes GEDCOM files which are the genealogy standard. This means
        that I can share my family tree with my family and relatives regardless
        of what operating system they have on their computer and they can open
        and edit the file with GenJ then send it back to me so we can
        collaborate electronically to build the family history database.

        GenJ offers family tree, table, time line views and more. With GenJ you
        can store photos, images, and video/audio clips, too. It is available
        in German, French, Spanish, Russian, Polish, and Hungarian so It handles
        unicode (diacritics) just fine.

        GenJ is easy to install because there is nothing to install. You just
        run the java file. Of course you can modify the source code to so some
        special thing you need it to do but I haven't found anything I needed or
        wanted to do that wasn't already included. GenJ was easy for me to
        learn. All the menus are context sensitive and the documentation is
        adequate to get started working with your genealogy data.

        Well, enough rambling about GenJ. If you want to check it out and
        perhaps download it, you can do so here:

        http://genj.sourceforge.net/wiki/en/manual/context

        As I said, just my two cents but I hope you may find them useful.

        Paul in NW Florida