US Military RE: [Slovak-World] Re: WWI Czech/Slovak war veterans

  • Plichta
    Message 1 of 57 , Jan 26, 2010
      Once an individual fulfills his commitment in the US military, he has no
      further obligation.

      The same is true for both enlisted soldiers and officers.

      General Officers on the other hand may be released from active duty but they
      never really retire. They are subject to recall at the pleasure of the
      President.

      I retired in 1986 with 22 years of service but in 2003 I received a
      voluntary recall to serve at my choice of duty stations, either in the US or
      Iraq. I could return at my previous rank (Lieutenant Colonel) but I could
      not be promoted. I would earn additional years of service for retirement
      purposes. Unfortunately, I needed to meet the current weight requirements
      and the 60 pounds that I gained between 1986 and 2004 was too much for me to
      lose at the age of 62. I've spoken with others who retired at the same time
      that I did and none of them received such a letter. Apparently the military
      needed my MOS (military occupational specialty).

      Frank Plichta

      Galax, VA

      Message 57 of 57 , Feb 6, 2010
        > Michael Strank was from Johnstown, PA

        Here's a link to the village in Slovakia where Michael was born (click on "Jarabina"):

        <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/celebrities/strankm.html>

        > There is an undated stamp from the Cunard line in Prague and
        > a American Consulate stamp dated 10 May 1921saying they had
        > "seen" some documents and as long as he had a valid passport
        > he could come to the US.

        That means that he was seen ("examined/inspected") at the U.S. Consulate. The stamp was his American visa (based on the Latin video "see"; visum) allowing him to enter the US.

        That's how the modern meaning of the word _visa_, "entry permit for an alien," came about in the more distant past. The would-be traveler was seen at the receiving country's mission in his home country and given a piece of paper that confirmed his having been "seen" and enabled him to pass the visiting country's entry checkpoint.

        Here's an account (the last paragraph) from 1842 showing that the word visum/vise could also refer to a document issued by a consulate to its country's own subjects in the past:

        <http://tinyurl.com/yb6zna4>