Re: WWI Czech/Slovak war veterans

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 57 , Jan 26, 2010
      Jack & Bill's answers point toward the complexity of it, Ben. With the draft during Vietnam, you were drafted for two years active service, two years active reserve finished by two years inactive reserve, when you were on the books but did not have to attend meetings & calling you back would take a real emergency. My DD214 certifying my active service was issued when I was released after 2 years active duty and the formal discharge certificate arrived about 4 years later, when all of the reserve duty had expired.

      With the current wars these last 9 years, the military has used what they call "stop loss" with the all-volunteer army, by which they can simply tell a soldier / airman that their services are required past the end of their contract, and they are kept in active service. Many times this is for 6 or 9 months, and many servicemen were calling it a quiet draft.

      You can imagine that military service requirements varied in Hungary as much as they have in the USA over the last 80 years, which is simply a caution to accept general rules as very general and to investigate specific conditions at the time you are interested in, if it is an important part of family or village history.

      Ron

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, William F Brna <wfbrna@...> wrote:

      > Ben,
      >
      > Speaking as someone who was in the military (US Air Force) longer ago
      > than I care to remember, I was in the Reserves for eight years upon
      > completion of active duty. I don't know what the time period is now.
      >
      > Bill Brna
      >
      > On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 06:50:32 -0800 (PST) Ben Sorensen
      > <cerrunos1@...> writes:
      >
      > Out of curiosity, the document says (and they all say from that time and
      > that area) that he could be conjured up again in the reserves untill the
      > 31st of December of the same year he turns 60. What do we do here in the
      > states after discharge? Is that a traditional clause that we still use
      > today? As I was never a soldier, for any country, I would love to know
      > how we phrase that same concept.
      > Ben
      >
      > ________________________________

    • votrubam
      Message 57 of 57 , Feb 6, 2010
        > Michael Strank was from Johnstown, PA

        Here's a link to the village in Slovakia where Michael was born (click on "Jarabina"):

        <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/celebrities/strankm.html>

        > There is an undated stamp from the Cunard line in Prague and
        > a American Consulate stamp dated 10 May 1921saying they had
        > "seen" some documents and as long as he had a valid passport
        > he could come to the US.

        That means that he was seen ("examined/inspected") at the U.S. Consulate. The stamp was his American visa (based on the Latin video "see"; visum) allowing him to enter the US.

        That's how the modern meaning of the word _visa_, "entry permit for an alien," came about in the more distant past. The would-be traveler was seen at the receiving country's mission in his home country and given a piece of paper that confirmed his having been "seen" and enabled him to pass the visiting country's entry checkpoint.

        Here's an account (the last paragraph) from 1842 showing that the word visum/vise could also refer to a document issued by a consulate to its country's own subjects in the past:

        <http://tinyurl.com/yb6zna4>