Gov't enealogy program

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 19, 2010
      This just showed up on Google News. You may already know about it: < http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-genealogy17-2010jan17,0,5618865.story?track=rss >.

    • J.B. Bulharowski
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 20, 2010
        Helen & All:

        Ilooked at the LA Times story and found it interesting, yet wondered if it was useful for me. The local FHC I visited suggested I fill out and submit Form G-639, Freedom of Information/Privacy Act Request put out by the Department of Homeland Security - U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services. I'm attempting to see if I can have them locate my paternal granfather's naturalization papers. The other forms listed in the LA times article don't seem to be anything I can utilize due to a lack of information on my part.

        Any thoughts, comments?

        Cheers,

        JB

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 20, 2010
          J.B.
          try http://www.sampubco.com I'm not endorsing anything here, and there is a minimum fee, I think it's about $5.00. This guy sent me copies of quite a few of my ancestors naturalization papers. If nothing else you can see if the records are available
          ...actually if I remember he goes to Salt Lake and accesses the records.
          Larry

          From: Helen Fedor <hfed@...>

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 20, 2010
            Thanks Larry, I'll look into it. The fee to be paid, if I can believe the form itself costs $20.00, so what can I lose - $15.00?

            Cheers,
            JB

            ________________________________

            ____________ _________ _________ __

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 20, 2010
              J.B
              I went to the site and clicked on the blue highlighted "naturalization". Then clicked for instructions.
              What I found was;
              scanned image via email=$3.00 using paypal/ $4.00 check
              printed image via U.S.post= $5.00 paypal/ $6.00 check.
              Maybe you were pricing another kind of record. I do know they are all priced differently. Again I'm not using this forum to endose or promote someones business...If there is still some confusion you can email me directly at lkocik@... I have another option for you to navigate that site. Good luck J.B.
              Larry
              .......One time I used the email/paypal option for $3.00 and got the record in the next days email.

              From: "lkocik@..." <lkocik@...>

              From: Helen Fedor <hfed@...>

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 21, 2010
                Larry:

                I was referring to the fee of 20-25 bucks for the G-639 form.

                Best,

                JB

                I went to the site and clicked on the blue highlighted "naturalization" . Then clicked for instructions.
                What I found was;
                scanned image via email=$3.00 using paypal/ $4.00 check
                printed image via U.S.post= $5.00 paypal/ $6.00 check.
                Maybe you were pricing another kind of record. I do know they are all priced differently. Again I'm not using this forum to endose or promote someones business...If there is still some confusion you can email me directly at lkocik@comcast. net I have another option for you to navigate that site. Good luck J.B.