Travel help

  • Murph
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 17, 2010
      My husband and I are trying to plan a trip to Slovakia for 2 weeks this April. We want to spend a few days in Bratislava and then go to Presov for a week to week and a half before returning home. We would be leaving from NYC/DC area or Philladelphia, all are about equi-distant from our home.
      We have done some research on the internet and got pretty confused and some of the costs are exhorbitant.
      Does anyone have suggestions on routes, any day(s) better than another?, airlines, would it be worth while to get a Europass for ground travel? What about renting a car (neither of us speak/read slovak).
      All suggestions most welcome.
      Marilyn
    • Plichta
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 17, 2010
        Marilyn,

        So you have discovered that things are expensive in Europe? The US Dollar has lost much of its value overseas. Today the value of 1 € is equal to approximately USD$0.6962.

        The value of USD$1.00 is equal to approximately 1.43635 €.

        You can find the latest values at the following web site: http://www.xe.com <http://www.xe.com/> The values are updated every 5-10 seconds.

        There is little expectation that the values will change significantly any time soon. Our US Dollar is not worth what it used to be, overseas.

        Good Luck

        Frank

        _____

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 17, 2010
          May I ask why you would want a EuroPass? I don't see them used often in Slovakia- in fact, I have NEVER seen one used there. The official website doesn't even list them. Don't waste your money. My parents made that mistake too-
          The trains in SK are reasonable, and in those two cities you won't have a problem finding people with at least a broken command of English. People can and will help you to the right train/bus. As for renting a car- YES, I drive there, and you can too. BUT remember that people drive differently there, and you WILL be shocked the first day- Slovak driving takes nerves of steel and time to get used to it. http://www.cestovny-poriadok.sk/%c2%a0is going to be your savior... this site will get you around and show you about what to plan on spending in advance.
          Ben- holding Adamko

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 17, 2010
            Marilyn,

            I answered an earlier post on the exchange rate of the Dollar and the Euro.

            As for you other questions, a lot depends on the freedom of travel and your
            physical condition.

            1. If you have a very specific schedule that you must keep and you plan
            to visit a large number of locations in a short period of time, then renting
            a car is important. Otherwise you will be spending some of your limited
            time in a train station waiting for the next train. On the other hand if
            you don't have any specific time to be somewhere and you have plenty of
            time, then you could use the trains. They are very dependable and they will
            take you just about anywhere you want to go.
            2. You don't speak Slovak. Do you speak any other European language?
            What about German, Magyar, Russian? Any of these will serve you well with
            the older locals. Much of the younger Slovaks on the other hand are
            learning English. You could get by with English very well.
            3. Do you expect to do research in the local archives in Slovakia.
            Have the birth, marriage and death records of your villages-of-interest been
            microfilmed? If so you will be looking at the same documents there that you
            can see here. If your village has not been microfilmed or if you are
            interested in records less than 100 years old, then you will need to be able
            to show your relationship to the individuals you are researching.

            Good Luck and Have Fun.

            Frank

            _____

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 17, 2010
              Frank,

              I'm afraid that you have that backwards. The value of 1 Euro is
              approximately 1.43535 USD.

              Bill Brna

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 17, 2010
                Bill,

                Thanks, I frequently get them backwards. Maybe that's why it's expensive.
                I think I'm getting a bargain and I'm not really.

                Frank

                _____

                I'm afraid that you have that backwards. The value of 1 Euro is
                approximately 1.43535 USD.

                Bill Brna

                On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 18:50:01 -0500 "Plichta" <plichta@earthlink.
                <mailto:plichta%40earthlink.net> net>

                http://www.xe. <http://www.xe.com> com <http://www.xe. <http://www.xe.com/>

                From: Slovak-World@ <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
                My husband and I are trying to plan a trip to Slovakia for 2 weeks this
                April. We want to spend a few days in Bratislava and then go to Presov
                for a week to week and a half before returning home. We would be leaving
                from NYC/DC area or Philladelphia, all are about equi-distant from our
                home.
                We have done some research on the internet and got pretty confused and
                some of the costs are exhorbitant.
                Does anyone have suggestions on routes, any day(s) better than another?,
                airlines, would it be worth while to get a Europass for ground travel?
                What about renting a car (neither of us speak/read slovak).
                All suggestions most welcome.
                Marilyn

                Small Business Tools
                Compete with the big boys. Click here to find products to benefit your
                business.
                http://thirdpartyof
                <http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=1yag92llAoMrWR75HMzieAAAJ1D4B
                wlR4ftpi7iFil_CpFskAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARMQAAAAA=>
                fers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=1yag92llAoMrWR75HMzieAAAJ1D4BwlR4ftpi7iFil_CpFskA
                AYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARMQAAAAA=

              • William C. Wormuth
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 17, 2010
                  Watch it Ben, or the Euro Police 'll be after ya!'

                  ________________________________
                  May I ask why you would want a EuroPass? I don't see them used often in Slovakia- in fact, I have NEVER seen one used there. The official website doesn't even list them. Don't waste your money. My parents made that mistake too-
                  The trains in SK are reasonable, and in those two cities you won't have a problem finding people with at least a broken command of English. People can and will help you to the right train/bus. As for renting a car- YES, I drive there, and you can too. BUT remember that people drive differently there, and you WILL be shocked the first day- Slovak driving takes nerves of steel and time to get used to it. http://www.cestovny -poriadok. sk/ is going to be your savior... this site will get you around and show you about what to plan on spending in advance.
                  Ben- holding Adamko

                  ____________ _________ _________ __

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 17, 2010
                    As of today, 1USD = 0.6592 EU. Inverted it is: 1EU = 1.4384 USD The value has gone down from 1.5 plus.

                    Vilo

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 17, 2010
                      even with the bad conversion rate, many things are still cheaper in Slovakia. This may not be true in Bratislava, but outside, you can get a large beer (1 L?) for about 80 euro cents. Also most restaurants offer some sort of a lunch special which includes soup and the main course for around 3 euro. Bus or train trip lasting some 2 hours will cost around 5 euro. Lodging is often in the order of 10 dollars a night, per person, including breakfast (again outside Bratislava). On the other hand, I yesterday picked up a pair of GoreTex hiking boots and they cost me the same they would in the states.

                      -- Lubos Brieda --
                      Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com
                      hikes and travel: www.iamlubos.com

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jan 18, 2010
                        Marilyn and fellow group members,

                        I lived and worked as an expat in Europe on and off for some 20 years
                        total between 1973 and 2007. The last two of those were in Slovakia
                        from Dec 05 to Dec 07 and while I was there I helped one member of this
                        group traveling to Slovakia for the first time to get the most out of
                        his trip. I am willing to offer the benefit of my experience to the
                        rest of the group but it would take a couple of pages and that would
                        perhaps be too big for this message board.

                        If anyone wants to contact me directly, I would be happy to send an
                        information sheet with a lot of considerations that are often overlooked
                        or are surprising to Americans traveling to Slovakia for the first time.
                        If the members of the group think it would be useful, I can also offer a
                        copy of the file to the group's moderator who could post it to the
                        archives for those who might want to reference it.

                        Paul in NW Florida
                      • Paul Guzowski
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jan 18, 2010
                          Marilyn,

                          I have myriad suggestions but they are probably too much to post in one
                          message on this board.

                          I lived/worked in Slovakia from Dec 05 to Dec 07 and traveled back and
                          forth to the US (south central PA) about a half-dozen times during that
                          period. While I was there, by far the most convenient and cheapest way
                          to reach Bratislava was via Vienna which is only a few minutes drive
                          away now that the motorway is complete and the border is open. There
                          are special buses right from Vienna airport to Bratislava or you can
                          take a train from Vienna airport to Vienna's train station then on to
                          Bratislava.

                          Additionally, Vienna's airport is a major international hub with direct
                          flights from the US. I always flew direct from Washington Dulles to
                          Vienna but there are direct flights from NYC and Philly, too.
                          Bratislava's international airport does not accommodate trans-Atlantic
                          flights so you have to fly into some other European gateway then on to
                          Bratislava.

                          In my experience, mid-week flights were always cheaper. I made a quick
                          comparison using my favorite travel search engine (www.mobissimo.com)
                          for hypothetical travel 7-14 April and found some interesting results.
                          Flying from Dulles to Bratislava would entail two intermediate stops and
                          the cheapest fare was about $950. On the other hand, flying from Dulles
                          to Vienna was non-stop at a cost of $750. Not only is it much cheaper
                          to fly into Vienna, the travel day will be much shorter and you will
                          only have to endure the security check hassles one time.

                          Hope this information helps.

                          Paul in NW Florida.
                        • MaryLou
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jan 18, 2010
                            I would love to have a copy. Send to mlvc@...

[...]

                          • Charlotte Conjelko
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jan 18, 2010
                              Paul,
                              I'm very much interested in your information on traveling in Slovakia as a couple of other family members and I are interested in visiting our family villages.  I was there 20 years ago with my mother and her sisters and hopefully will get there this summer.

                              Thanks,
                              Charlotte Pribish Conjelko
                              charr61pribish@...

                            • lkocik@comcast.net
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jan 18, 2010
                                Paul
                                For various reasons my plans for the immediate future don't include a trip to Slovakia. I'm interested in what your offering to understand trends and customs in contemporary Slovakia [from a more personal view]. If it works out having our moderator upload them to the file section will you be sure to
                                do a post on the forum to advise the rest of us. If not could you please send me a copy at lkocik@...
                                Thank you Paul...that's a generous offer.
                                Larry Kocik

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jan 18, 2010
                                  I don't believe there is any need to ask the moderator to post the file for you. Many things have been posted in the past by many different people, and many are still posted.

                                  Then just tell us about it & anyone can post it.

                                  Only once or twice over the years did the storage area get full, and the moderator asked people to remove old, abandoned postings no longer of value.

                                  Ron

                                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, lkocik@... wrote:

                                  > Paul
                                  > For various reasons my plans for the immediate future don't include a trip to Slovakia. I'm interested in what your offering to understand trends and customs in contemporary Slovakia [from a more personal view]. If it works out having our moderator upload them to the file section will you be sure to
                                  > do a post on the forum to advise the rest of us. If not could you please send me a copy at lkocik@...
                                  > Thank you Paul...that's a generous offer.
                                  > Larry Kocik

                                • Greg
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jan 19, 2010
                                    Ron:

                                    Thanks for the posting.

                                    There is a treasure trove on all Slovak subjects at the Slovak-World archives.

                                    The quickest way to access is

                                    If anyone hasn't tried an archives search, you will be surprised.

                                    Greg Kopchak
                                    Slovak-World Moderator

                                  • slovak821@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jan 19, 2010
                                      I would appreciate a copy, too. Please send to: _Slovak821@..._
                                      (mailto:Slovak821@...) Thank you.
                                      Jacqueline

                                      In a message dated 1/18/2010 10:32:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                      guzowskip@... writes:

[...]

                                    • dragansk
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jan 19, 2010
                                        There's also a very good book, The Foreigner's Guide to Living in Slovakia, written by one of our group's members, Margarete Hurn. Her web site, which includes a sample chapter from the book, is http://www.fgslovakia.com/the-book
                                        Dennis

                                      • j.harndon@ymail.com
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jan 21, 2010
                                          I second that. I checked it out on Amazon (it got some very strong reviews there) while looking for info on planning my own trip to Slovakia this summer. On Amazon there is the "look inside" feature that is pretty helpful in deciding if you want it or not. There's a ton of useful info about the nuts and bolts of getting around in Slovakia, such as by bus and train, which is how I plan to get around, but I really like the culture sections better. Lots of interesting stuff.
                                          James