Re: [Slovak-World] Question on decimated village

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 3, 2010
      Wonder if anyone can help? I got this question
      My brother-in-law was here the other day and said he saw a show on the history channel that talked about a town in Slovakia (during WW II) that was attacked by the Nazis and all of the children in this town where killed.  Today, there is a shrine in this town with the names of all of the slain children on it.  Do you know the name of this town or any other information concerning this matter.  I have checked all of the information I have and I cannot find anything.

          I wondered if it might have been Sklabina where some 30 young men and older ones were executed by the German soldiers in retaliation.

         Does anyone know of another where only children were murdered?

      helene

    • Plichta
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 3, 2010
        Helene,

        The village is the Czech village of Ledice.

        See the item at the following Url:

        http://holocaust-forum.blogspot.com/2009/06/nazis-liquidate-lidice-czech-vil
        lage-in.html

        fRANK

        _____

        Wonder if anyone can help? I got this question
        My brother-in-law was here the other day and said he saw a show on the
        history channel that talked about a town in Slovakia (during WW II) that was
        attacked by the Nazis and all of the children in this town where killed.
        Today, there is a shrine in this town with the names of all of the slain
        children on it. Do you know the name of this town or any other information
        concerning this matter. I have checked all of the information I have and I
        cannot find anything.

        I wondered if it might have been Sklabina where some 30 young men and
        older ones were executed by the German soldiers in retaliation.

        Does anyone know of another where only children were murdered?

        helene

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 3, 2010
          I believe you are right. Helene he (or someone) might have been confused with Letnic~e in Western Slovakia.

          Vilo

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 3, 2010
            Helene,
            I also had seen that show but it was a while ago. The Nazis killed everyone in the town including all of the children in retaliation for an underground attack on the Officer in charge of Czechoslovakia. The shrine is a life size bronze of all the children. If you use google earth you can search for it and it has pictures of the remnants of the town and the Monument.

            Rick Sonzella

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 3, 2010
              I believe you all mean Lidice. :-) However, if memory serves me, the men here were all killed on the spot, women sent to the camps, and children taken to Germany- most gassed. There are some beautiful memorials to the people and the children....
              Ben

              ________________________________

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 3, 2010
                > My brother-in-law was here the other day and said he
                > saw a show on the history channel that talked about a
                > town in Slovakia

                Time to show him a map of Central Europe, perhaps? Not in Slovakia:

                <http://tinyurl.com/y924q6a>

                And as others have said, most people (not all) were killed, not just the children. About 20 percent of the children were spared, because they had traits of the "superior race."

                Martin
              • helene cincebeaux
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 3, 2010
                  Thank you all so much for your speedy replies to a very sad subject - i will pass this on to my friend and she can enlighten her relative.

                  helene

                  ________________________________
                  > My brother-in-law was here the other day and said he
                  > saw a show on the history channel that talked about a
                  > town in Slovakia

                  Time to show him a map of Central Europe, perhaps? Not in Slovakia:

                  <http://tinyurl. com/y924q6a>

                  And as others have said, most people (not all) were killed, not just the children. About 20 percent of the children were spared, because they had traits of the "superior race."

                • Ron
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 3, 2010
                    The nazis leveled the village of Sambron (¹ambron) a little SE of Stara Lubovna. That is from a report from a Jakubany man living in Stara Lubovna. Looking on the web, it seems Jan 23 1945 was the day & it was in revenge for Partizans basing themselves out of the village. There is mention of 145 houses being leveled, but no mention of children or slaughter of the population. So perhaps this is not the place.
                    Ron
                    http://www.sambron.ocu.sk/sk/index.php?ids=4
                    http://www.saris.eu.sk/sambron/en

                  • lkocik@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 3, 2010
                      Helene... et al
                      Lidice was one of the most notorius, but there were others; Sklene, and Klak were two. You can google "world war 2+Slovakia+massacre".
                      Be forwarned; if you study genealogy for that "warm fuzzy feeling", of bringing your ancestors' stories to life, or out of pride of your heritage, you might not want to open this pandoras' box.
                      I take great pride in my heritage, but it's tempered with the reality that my ancestors were only human. I was a conscientious objector medic in viet nam but that couldn't protect me from having to participate in the total destruction of villiages that were deemed to be harboring V.C. sympathizers. I vividly recall Marines calling women "breeders" and children "future V.C.". In WW2, British planes massacred 42,000 civilians of Dresden in retribution. What I'm trying to say is; althought I personaly think the Nazi's were the most incidiously evil people that ever walked the earth, when you talk about the atrocities of war you can't always single out one group. It's "man's inhumanity to man" at it's worst and what war is all about.
                      There were Czechs and Slovaks that profiited from the war at the cost of their countrymen. There were Nazi sympathizers and actuaul Nazi party members among the citizenery of both countries too. This is a gut wrenching and uncomfortable reality but needs to be kept an "in your face" subject. ----- Original Message -----
                      > My brother-in-law was here the other day and said he

                      > saw a show on the history channel that talked about a

                      > town in Slovakia

                      Time to show him a map of Central Europe, perhaps? Not in Slovakia:

                      <http://tinyurl.com/y924q6a>

                      And as others have said, most people (not all) were killed, not just the children. About 20 percent of the children were spared, because they had traits of the "superior race."

                    • Nick Holcz
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 3, 2010
                        Helene, FYI
                        On May 27, 1942, SS Obergruppenführer Reinhard
                        Heydrich, Deputy Reich Protector of Bohemia and
                        Moravia, had been attacked in Prague by Free
                        Czech agents who were trained in England and
                        brought to Czechoslovakia to assassinate him.
                        They shot at Heydrich as his car slowed to round
                        a sharp turn, then threw a bomb which exploded,
                        mortally wounding him. Heydrich managed to get
                        out of the car, draw his pistol and shoot back at
                        the assassins before collapsing in the street.

                        Heydrich survived for several days, but died on
                        June 4 from blood poisoning brought on by
                        fragments of auto upholstery, steel, and his own
                        uniform that had lodged in his spleen.

                        In Berlin, the Nazis staged a highly elaborate
                        funeral with Hitler calling Heydrich "the man with the iron heart."

                        Meanwhile the Gestapo and SS hunted down and
                        murdered Czech agents, resistance members, and
                        anyone suspected of being involved in Heydrich's
                        death, totaling over 1000 persons. In addition,
                        3000 Jews were deported from the ghetto at
                        Theresienstadt for extermination. In Berlin 500
                        Jews were arrested, with 152 executed as a
                        reprisal on the day of Heydrich's death.

                        As a further reprisal, Hitler ordered the small
                        Czech mining village of Lidice to be liquidated
                        on the fake charge that it had aided the assassins.

                        In one of the most infamous single acts of World
                        War Two, all 172 men and boys over age 16 in the
                        village were shot while the women were deported
                        to Ravensbrück concentration camp where most
                        died. Ninety young children were sent to the
                        concentration camp at Gneisenau, with some taken
                        later to Nazi orphanages if they were German looking.

                        The village of Lidice was then destroyed building
                        by building with explosives, then completely
                        leveled until not a trace remained, with grain
                        being planted over the flattened soil. The name
                        was then removed from all German maps.

                        " when I was about 15 I read a book about this
                        and I told my father about the book, obviously he
                        knew all about it even where the men were trained."

                        Nick

                      • William F Brna
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 4, 2010
                          Yes, and there were Slovaks who were not Nazi sympathizers. There are
                          three Brnas listed as "Righteous Gentiles" in the Holocaust Museum in
                          Washington and at Yad Vashem in Israel. The grandfather of one of the
                          families that I have stayed with saved at least three Jewish families.
                          He had double-walled buildings on his farm. Whenever anyone came around,
                          the Jewish families hid between the walls. I stayed at what remained of
                          the farm, but the buildings were no longer in existence.

                          Bill Brna

                          On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 01:57:06 +0000 (UTC) lkocik@... writes:

                          Helene... et al
                          There were Czechs and Slovaks that profiited from the war at the cost of
                          their countrymen. There were Nazi sympathizers and actuaul Nazi party
                          members among the citizenery of both countries too. This is a gut
                          wrenching and uncomfortable reality but needs to be kept an "in your
                          face" subject. ----- Original Message -----
                          > My brother-in-law was here the other day and said he

                          > saw a show on the history channel that talked about a

                          > town in Slovakia

                          Time to show him a map of Central Europe, perhaps? Not in Slovakia:

                          <http://tinyurl.com/y924q6a>

                          And as others have said, most people (not all) were killed, not just the
                          children. About 20 percent of the children were spared, because they had
                          traits of the "superior race."

                        • dragansk
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 4, 2010
                            Evidently a number of Slovak towns were destroyed as a result of partisan activity. On my first visit to Slovakia, I asked our relatives in the small town of Turcovce, north of Humenne, if the house I thought my father was born in was actually the same house. That's when we learned that, because a German officer was killed by partisans in that area, the Germans marched everyone from Turcovce to the top of a nearby hill so that they could watch their homes being burned to the ground. The homes in Turcovce were later rebuilt.
                            Dennis

                            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

                            > The nazis leveled the village of Sambron (¹ambron) a little SE of Stara Lubovna. That is from a report from a Jakubany man living in Stara Lubovna. Looking on the web, it seems Jan 23 1945 was the day & it was in revenge for Partizans basing themselves out of the village. There is mention of 145 houses being leveled, but no mention of children or slaughter of the population. So perhaps this is not the place.
                            > Ron
                            > http://www.sambron.ocu.sk/sk/index.php?ids=4
                            > http://www.saris.eu.sk/sambron/en
                            >

                            > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Wonder if anyone can help? I got this question
                            > > My brother-in-law was here the other day and said he saw a show on the history channel that talked about a town in Slovakia (during WW II) that was attacked by the Nazis and all of the children in this town where killed.  Today, there is a shrine in this town with the names of all of the slain children on it.  Do you know the name of this town or any other information concerning this matter.  I have checked all of the information I have and I cannot find anything.
                            > >
                            > >     I wondered if it might have been Sklabina where some 30 young men and older ones were executed by the German soldiers in retaliation.
                            > >
                            > >    Does anyone know of another where only children were murdered?
                            > >
                            > > helene

                          • votrubam
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 4, 2010
                              > and there were Slovaks who were not Nazi sympathizers. There are
                              > three Brnas listed as "Righteous Gentiles" in the Holocaust
                              > Museum in Washington and at Yad Vashem in Israel.

                              The list is here, Bill:

                              <http://tinyurl.com/ykd93pj>

                              It names two Brnos recognized in 1993, no Brna. Unless the people had different last names, the webmasters at Yad Vashem should perhaps be contacted to update the list.

                              Martin
                            • William F Brna
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 4, 2010
                                Martin,

                                Possibly I was misinformed. I was told by the grandson of one of the men
                                who was supposedly on the list, that he and two other Brnas were on the
                                list. He also gave me the name of one of the men who was saved by his
                                grandfather's efforts. I had no reason to doubt what he told me since
                                the information was unsolicited, however, I will do my best to verify its
                                accuracy.

                                Bill Brna

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 4, 2010
                                  We are now entering into the politics of the First Republic, formed by Monsignor Jozef Tiso.

                                  I believe that he formed the Republic, legitimately, for the good and (safety), of the Slovak people. I do not support the propaganda that Monsignor Tiso was a "Nazi, who supported the killing of the Jewish and Gypsy populations".

                                  Before the formation of the 1st Republic, (and following the war, up to the 2nd Republic), the Czech led Governments treated the Slovaks as second class citizens, who were not capable of anything except farming and labor. The original agreements of the Dohoda were put aside by Tomas Masaryk. For example, (which some might consider Unimportant but which effected many Slovaks) was, Republic was to be oficially named, CzechoSlovakia. Later, the government "dropped the capital "S" and Slovaks remained second class.

                                  School children were obliged to learn Czech and Slovaks had little or no political voice.
                                  In My Grandmothers village, (Kúty), in western Slovakia had a mayor, who had his position because his wife was Czech. All business, with the exceptionof restaurants and bars, in the village were owned by people who were Jews.

                                  The Envy and in some cases hatred of Jews, stemmed from the Hungarian rule. The King appointed the Jews as tax collectors, in order to clear his name as a tax collector. The statement I heard from our people, when I was a child was, "The Magyars took 50% and the Jews 40% and we ad to live on the remaining 10% of our incomes.".

                                  The dreams of the Slovaks in the afore mentioned film, were no different than those of our immegrant forefathers. They wanted to improve their lives and perhaps someday to return home and have their own businesses.

                                  The film, shop on Main Street, ( Obchod na Korze ), was meant as a " Propaganda tool", for the Czechoslovak Communist Government alienate any Political influence of the Slovaks.

                                  The dreams of the Slovaks in the film, were no different than those of our immigrant forefathers. They wanted to improve their lives and perhaps someday to return home and have their own businesses.

                                  Following the realization that the German Nazi's were killing these people our people began to hide Jews in homes and factories.

                                  It was unfortunate that the Slovak "army", Hlinkova Garda, was required to arrest and help in the deportion of the Jewish population, which gave them an image of SS troops.

                                  The government of Monsingior Tiso began the buildup of the infrastructure of the country and made other gains. The reason for my writing this is because I EXTREMELY detest the labeling of the 1st Republic as " as "Nazi", thus supporting the hanging of the Monsignor, exactly as intended by the communists.

                                  I hope that I have demonstrated the fact that were many factors included in forming of the Republic as well as the support of Slovaks. Historians look upon the war fthrough different eyes thean the people who lived it. There was not 100% good in the republic and neither was there 100% bad. The same can be said the rule of communists.

                                  Did any of you members ever met Father Augustine Zan, who was a chaplain for the sisters of Sts. Cyril and Method? He was a Secretary to Monsignior Tiso until the end of WW Two. He was good man whose base of existence was to be "First a Priest and Second a Slovak". His story is for another time. Nech Ban Boh dajim Sväteho Pokoji.

                                  Vilo

                                  ________________________________
                                  w entering into the "Politic" of thrFrom: William F Brna <wfbrna@...>

                                  > My brother-in-law was here the other day and said he

                                  > saw a show on the history channel that talked about a

                                  > town in Slovakia

                                  Time to show him a map of Central Europe, perhaps? Not in Slovakia:

                                  <http://tinyurl. com/y924q6a>

                                  And as others have said, most people (not all) were killed, not just the
                                  children. About 20 percent of the children were spared, because they had
                                  traits of the "superior race."

                                  Diet Help
                                  Cheap Diet Help Tips. Click here.
                                  http://thirdpartyof fers.juno. com/TGL2141/ c?cp=iwNPpMaYbFg GZu-8-zSI6QAAJ1D 4BwlR4ftpi7iFil_ CpFskAAYAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAADNAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YQAAAAAA=

                                • lkocik@comcast.net
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 4, 2010
                                    Vilo
                                    Please.. write more on this subject. You obviously have intense feelings and a deep base of knowledge on this era of Slovak history.
                                    I tried to provoke some meaningful dialouge with my email on the subject but fear I might have came across as too abrasive, or negative. I also feel I stepped on some toes by too casually mentioning the ties some[ an extremely small minority] Slovaks had with the Nazi party.I'm sorry for the way I phrased it, I wasn't trying to imply anything. I have no jewish blood that I'm aware of, but
                                    ever since my childhood, nothing has upset me more than the holacost....
                                    What I can't understand is how everyone including the catholic church, turned a blind eye to it. But there again, I'm expressing my personal, pathetic, emotional opion. I'm not looking to blame any one group ...and without living there in those times, and with my very limited "textbook" knowledge, I have no right to form any opion.
                                    That's what leads me to respectfully ask for your insight on those years between the great wars.
                                    The thought has also crossed my mind that maybe this forum is not the proper place for this subject, so if anyone objects please feel free to tell me.
                                    Thank you Vilo and the others that have replied.
                                    Larry Kocik----- Original Message -----

                                    From: votrubam

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 4, 2010
                                      Thank you for your enlightening reply on my insensitive remark.
                                      About the link you posted for Bill; I've seen the sites that show the people that were intered but am not familiar with this site. I couldn't tell what this list designates, and what is the context of the word "rightous"in this instance. Was it people who had a role "helping" secure freedom for victims of the holacost? It seems too small of a list for that.
                                      respectfully

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 4, 2010
                                        Bill,

                                        It was not you but your reason for the words used. They are a result source of your knowledge, even though it is limited and your source may not be limited.

                                        I would not and will not become angered about what members write here as the purpose of this site is to learn and I have learned much.

                                        Back and forth communication is good and although you and I may never agree, we will remember the the content and perhaps, in the future, use the information.

                                        I have exposed myself to be damned by some, as a Nazi sympathizer, which of course I am not. What happened to the Jews had no rhyme nor reason. I am confident as a Catholic that those Nazi criminals have now experienced the true wrath of God.

                                        Experiences in the whole of Slovakia during the war might be as varied then as the life was between East and West, during Magyar rule. The East has suffered the most through all.

                                        I have never heard of a village being destroyed in the West nor do I know of anyone who was killed or deported to a German Death Camp.

                                        By the way, I did not mean to sound like an authority on the subject. I wrote only to express my opinion based on personal connections .

                                        Pray for Peace and God Bless,

                                        Vilo

                                        ________________________________

                                        w entering into the "Politic" of thrFrom: William F Brna <wfbrna@juno. com>

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jan 4, 2010
                                          > I have never heard of a village being destroyed in the West
                                          > nor do I know of anyone who was killed or deported to a
                                          > German Death Camp.

                                          I may have misunderstood, Vilo -- Jews were deported from Italy, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark (very few, because almost all managed to escape to Sweden), Norway... Is that what you meant? And Germany, of course, is the "West," too. Western Europe has not been any less cruel than the rest of the continent.

                                          Martin
                                        • Ben Sorensen
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 4, 2010
                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust_train#Slovakia

                                            Here is a weird take on the expulsion of Jews I found as I was looking for the train routes to Oswiecim (Auschwitz). I think whoever wrote this had a chip on their shoulder- and as far as the "facts," I myself couldn't confirm them.  However, Slovakia's actions during the beginning of WWII were less than admirable... I would have to say, though, that if these actions must be "in our faces," let's also remember that a country that many of us call home today also took part in some of the most abominable slave trading- and took even longer to end segregation.   If we look at WWII and America, let's not forget our concentration camps in California and elsewhere, or the SS St. Louis.....
                                            or My Lai in Vietnam....

                                            Here is a line, a very tame line in comparison to some others, from The Los Angeles Times during WWII:
                                            "A viper is nonetheless a viper whenever the egg is hatched - so a Japanese American, born of Japanese parents - grows up to be a Japanese, not an American."

                                            I am not saying that America was in any way the equal of Germany, or that Slovakia should be completely exonerated- but the truth is that no country is clean of "sin." Slovakia had alot to repent for by 1942, but SNP proves that there were MANY good men too in Slovakia.  Germans were taken in by Nazi rhetoric, but there were groups of those who opposed the Fuhrer as well (Swing Kids, for example). And in America, people opposed slavery, the interrment of the Japanese, and also our refusal to dock and grant refuge to the SS St. Louis.

                                            Since we are on the topic- here is something interesting released by the CIA in 2000- HITLER'S FILE.
                                            http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/CIAHitler.pdf
                                            Ben

                                          • William C. Wormuth
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jan 4, 2010
                                              I'm sorry for the typo, I meant in WESTERN SLOVAKIA.

                                              ________________________________
                                              > I have never heard of a village being destroyed in the West
                                              > nor do I know of anyone who was killed or deported to a
                                              > German Death Camp.

                                              I may have misunderstood, Vilo -- Jews were deported from Italy, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark (very few, because almost all managed to escape to Sweden), Norway... Is that what you meant? And Germany, of course, is the "West," too. Western Europe has not been any less cruel than the rest of the continent.

                                            • Greg
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 6, 2010
                                                Martin:

                                                One of my favorite films in Slovak is "The Shop on Main Street".

                                                The thread that has been running here this week makes me
                                                curious.

                                                Is there any historical accuracy to the film?

                                                Greg Kopchak

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jan 9, 2010
                                                  It is best to be objective about history.  While I am sad about the events, I am burdened by no shame or guilt about my former countrymen.

                                                  I have never been a Nazi nor a Communist, nor ever sympathized w/ any of the totalitarians.

                                                  But to ignore the facts of their existence, or to hide or deny the facts, would only allow their resurgence.

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jan 9, 2010
                                                    Those are my sentiments too, especially your last sentence. I might add that I have such a deep hatred for all things Nazi that it effects my judgement and reasoning.
                                                    I started that thread but "dropped out" very soon. I realized it was offensive to some subscribers.
                                                    My intention wasn't to point a finger or cast blame ...I was only trying to ferret out the truth and stimulate conversation on the subject. I still think it is a valid subject to pursue,and I will, but not on this forum. I've never checked the by-laws for subject matter but notice the atmosphere here is more light hearted and up beat, and I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. I enjoy this forum for what it is and I'll leave it at that.
                                                    Thank you for your support
                                                    Larry ----- Original Message -----

                                                    From: William F Brna <wfbrna@...>

                                                    To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                                                    From: votrubam

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jan 10, 2010
                                                      We can become what we hate.

                                                      Where else do you post, Larry?  You sound like an interesting blogger.  Some here have very interesting travel blogs, even though I may not agree on opinions re: other subjects.

                                                      I appreciate their posts

                                                      From: William F Brna <wfbrna@juno. com>

                                                      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com

                                                      From: votrubam

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jan 14, 2010
                                                        John
                                                        Sorry for the lag in responding.
                                                        Becoming what we hate is too true, especially the intolerance and looking for blame aspect .That's why I need to get more understanding of those times.
                                                        Thank you for your compliment. As for posting on other sites; I can barely keep up with what goes on here and over at the sister site on Slovak genealogy. Do you have any favorites?I always look for fresh perspectives and opposing views.
                                                        Larry.

                                                        From: lkocik@... <lkocik@...>

                                                        To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

                                                        From: LongJohn Wayne