Re: [Slovak-World] Re: Slovak Sauerkraut for New Year's Day

    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
      When I was sick with a cold or such, my mom would heat milk, honey, and butter for me to drink as hot as possible. It was about the only time I got to eat or drink in bed. I had to keep warm and work up a sweat, and then I'd get better. a Ukrainian friend said that they had the same thing, but added some garlic to the mixture(!).

      All opinions my own

      >>> "joy2002cjm" <joy2002cjm@...> 01/01/10 9:37 PM >>>
      I was wondering about how you all cook sauerkraut. My Grandma from Myjava in the 1900s made it with pork neck bones, prunes mushrooms and onions. I was wondering about regional differences. Also they made a "holiday drink" used at christmas and new years mostly although my dad says he had it when he was sick with a cold.... cooked polyna (my spelling is off I am sure) Basically it is rye whiskey honey and butter in a hot drink served in demitasse cups. My dad had slivovich in slovakia when he went, but he said it wasnt the same. Does anyone have similar traditions?

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg@...> wrote:

      > My wife got me one of the new-fangled high tech phones
      > for Christmas that has an internet search option.
      >
      > It lists the top ten searches that you can click on.
      >
      > This morning....
      >
      > Black-eyed peas
      > Cabbage
      > Sauerkraut
      >
      > were all among the top ten!
      >
      > We may have stumbled upon something here!
      >
      > Greg
      >

      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Marycay Doolittle" <marycayd@> wrote:
      > >
      > > My mother told stories of her mom and dad making sauerkraut with a white sheet on the kitchen floor, shredding the heads into it and then putting it into a barrel that lasted a long time. Mom said it was the best she had. I've made it but not to that extent and it wasn't so good. Pirogy were filled with potato and cheese or prunes. I do both plus potato and onion but never likes them filled with sauerkraut.

    • Nick Holcz
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 3, 2010
        My father made a hot drink from tea, lemon and honey with a large
        amount of whisky, it didn't really cure the cold but you stopped
        thinking about it.

        Nick
      • Michelle Burke
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 9, 2010
          Don't recall anything special food-wise about New Year's Day -- I know that ham hocks, greens and black-eyed peas are a southern thing.

          Our Christmas Eve was meatless too -- I recall on this list previously a discussion about Christmas Eve/holiday soups, and several people commented on kapustnica.  I believe that someone commented that soups differed depending on the region.  My grandma on my dad's side passed down a mushroom soup for Christmas Eve -- dried mushrooms, a really rich broth (I guess it was meatless, although when I make it I use a chicken/beef broth mixture), little square noodles.  Fried fish filets (probably an American addition, I suspect).  Pirohies -- potato, cheese and prune.  Oplatky and honey.  Cookies.  Kolach.  Nuts.  Fruit.  Sweeeeeet.

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 9, 2010
            Where in Southwest PA?  My mom hales from Bentleyville-Ellsworth, and I have an uncle from Allison.

            ________________________________
            In our area of SW PA, pork and sauerkraut on New Year's was considered to
            be a Polish tradition, not that non-Poles didn't carry on the tradition.

            Bill Brna

            On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:36:49 -0000 "Greg" <greg@iarelative. com> writes:

            Pork and sauerkraut is the traditional meal on New
            Year's Day.

            Wouldn't be New Year's Day without it.

            For more than most people need to know about sauerkraut

            http://www.iarelative.com/recipe/sauer.htm

            Are you having this dish on New Year's Day?

            What is the basis for this tradition?

            Is there a Slovak connection?

            Is this a Slovak-American tradition.

            Greg

            Love Spell
            Click here to light up your life with a love spell!
            http://thirdpartyof fers.juno. com/TGL2141/ c?cp=QPo3qdjMtMm CSxJi8_ZkBQAAJ1D 4BwlR4ftpi7iFil_ CpFskAAYAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAADNAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ARwAAAAA=

          • Michelle Burke
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 9, 2010
              I think I remember whiskey, honey and butter for a sore throat...

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 9, 2010
                That's it!

                ________________________________
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 9, 2010
                  Michelle,

                  I live in Monongahela, about 15 miles from Bentleyville. What is your
                  mother's name? There is a Brna family in Bentleyville, not related to my
                  family, however, when my father came from Slovakia in 1906, he stayed
                  with a Brna family in Ellsworth. I was born and raised in Roscoe which
                  is about ten miles from Monongahela.

                  I have attempted to look into the family tree for the
                  Bentleyville/Ellsworth. but without much success.

                  Bill Brna

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 9, 2010
                    Michelle:

                    You betcha, I remember that one. Whiskey on momma's finger for little ones and teething problems. Don't do that now...

                    jb