Re: [Slovak-World] St. Lucia Day

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2010
      We never observed St Lucia day when I was growing up, but the statement about women not visiting neighbors for fear of bringing bad luck reminded me of another custom. On New Year's Day, my mother would sometimes send a plate of baked goods to a (non-Slovak and even non-Slavic) neighbor or two. My mother insisted that my brother bring over the plates, because it was bad luck to have your first visitor on New Year's be a female. You can imagine the arguments we had.

      All opinions my own

      http://www.slovakcooking.com/2009/life/st-lucia/