Re: Slovak Sauerkraut for New Year's Day

  • joy2002cjm
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 1, 2010
      I was wondering about how you all cook sauerkraut. My Grandma from Myjava in the 1900s made it with pork neck bones, prunes mushrooms and onions. I was wondering about regional differences. Also they made a "holiday drink" used at christmas and new years mostly although my dad says he had it when he was sick with a cold.... cooked polyna (my spelling is off I am sure) Basically it is rye whiskey honey and butter in a hot drink served in demitasse cups. My dad had slivovich in slovakia when he went, but he said it wasnt the same. Does anyone have similar traditions?

      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 2, 2010
        When I was sick with a cold or such, my mom would heat milk, honey, and butter for me to drink as hot as possible. It was about the only time I got to eat or drink in bed. I had to keep warm and work up a sweat, and then I'd get better. a Ukrainian friend said that they had the same thing, but added some garlic to the mixture(!).

        All opinions my own

        >>> "joy2002cjm" <joy2002cjm@...> 01/01/10 9:37 PM >>>
        I was wondering about how you all cook sauerkraut. My Grandma from Myjava in the 1900s made it with pork neck bones, prunes mushrooms and onions. I was wondering about regional differences. Also they made a "holiday drink" used at christmas and new years mostly although my dad says he had it when he was sick with a cold.... cooked polyna (my spelling is off I am sure) Basically it is rye whiskey honey and butter in a hot drink served in demitasse cups. My dad had slivovich in slovakia when he went, but he said it wasnt the same. Does anyone have similar traditions?

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <greg@...> wrote:

        > My wife got me one of the new-fangled high tech phones
        > for Christmas that has an internet search option.
        >
        > It lists the top ten searches that you can click on.
        >
        > This morning....
        >
        > Black-eyed peas
        > Cabbage
        > Sauerkraut
        >
        > were all among the top ten!
        >
        > We may have stumbled upon something here!
        >
        > Greg
        >

        > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Marycay Doolittle" <marycayd@> wrote:
        > >
        > > My mother told stories of her mom and dad making sauerkraut with a white sheet on the kitchen floor, shredding the heads into it and then putting it into a barrel that lasted a long time. Mom said it was the best she had. I've made it but not to that extent and it wasn't so good. Pirogy were filled with potato and cheese or prunes. I do both plus potato and onion but never likes them filled with sauerkraut.

      • Nick Holcz
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 3, 2010
          My father made a hot drink from tea, lemon and honey with a large
          amount of whisky, it didn't really cure the cold but you stopped
          thinking about it.

          Nick
        • Michelle Burke
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 9, 2010
            Don't recall anything special food-wise about New Year's Day -- I know that ham hocks, greens and black-eyed peas are a southern thing.

            Our Christmas Eve was meatless too -- I recall on this list previously a discussion about Christmas Eve/holiday soups, and several people commented on kapustnica.  I believe that someone commented that soups differed depending on the region.  My grandma on my dad's side passed down a mushroom soup for Christmas Eve -- dried mushrooms, a really rich broth (I guess it was meatless, although when I make it I use a chicken/beef broth mixture), little square noodles.  Fried fish filets (probably an American addition, I suspect).  Pirohies -- potato, cheese and prune.  Oplatky and honey.  Cookies.  Kolach.  Nuts.  Fruit.  Sweeeeeet.

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 9, 2010
              Where in Southwest PA?  My mom hales from Bentleyville-Ellsworth, and I have an uncle from Allison.

              ________________________________
              In our area of SW PA, pork and sauerkraut on New Year's was considered to
              be a Polish tradition, not that non-Poles didn't carry on the tradition.

              Bill Brna

              On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:36:49 -0000 "Greg" <greg@iarelative. com> writes:

              Pork and sauerkraut is the traditional meal on New
              Year's Day.

              Wouldn't be New Year's Day without it.

              For more than most people need to know about sauerkraut

              http://www.iarelative.com/recipe/sauer.htm

              Are you having this dish on New Year's Day?

              What is the basis for this tradition?

              Is there a Slovak connection?

              Is this a Slovak-American tradition.

              Greg

              Love Spell
              Click here to light up your life with a love spell!
              http://thirdpartyof fers.juno. com/TGL2141/ c?cp=QPo3qdjMtMm CSxJi8_ZkBQAAJ1D 4BwlR4ftpi7iFil_ CpFskAAYAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAADNAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ARwAAAAA=

            • Michelle Burke
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 9, 2010
                I think I remember whiskey, honey and butter for a sore throat...

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 9, 2010
                  That's it!

                  ________________________________
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 9, 2010
                    Michelle,

                    I live in Monongahela, about 15 miles from Bentleyville. What is your
                    mother's name? There is a Brna family in Bentleyville, not related to my
                    family, however, when my father came from Slovakia in 1906, he stayed
                    with a Brna family in Ellsworth. I was born and raised in Roscoe which
                    is about ten miles from Monongahela.

                    I have attempted to look into the family tree for the
                    Bentleyville/Ellsworth. but without much success.

                    Bill Brna

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 9, 2010
                      Michelle:

                      You betcha, I remember that one. Whiskey on momma's finger for little ones and teething problems. Don't do that now...

                      jb