Re: [Slovak-World] Shorty shirts

  • cerrunos1@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 71 , Dec 30, 2009
      Martin,
      Your ability to find these things is amazing- again I can only shrug and say "that is why he is Pan Profesor!" :-)
      Anyways, I know that in Zdiar, at least, there were two types of belts- one about a meter and a half long with "tacks" embedded, and the other was the wide belt that your pictures show. I always thought of that wide belt as a Liptov belt as well. As for these belts, though, was their original use to double as a weight belt when lifting things at the farm or salas as well as protection from strikes to the midriff (like,say, a bear would induce?) One maker from Martin always reminded me that the good buckles are as good as money in some circles... My belt never bought me bread though :-) (I know that he meant when trading...)
      Ben

      From: "votrubam" <votrubam@...>
      Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 18:10:55
      To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [Slovak-World] Shorty shirts

      > man's costume, it says "A short shirt scarcely covers his
      > chest."

      ... and so the Gorals then came up with the fashion of the ultrawide belts?

      <http://tinyurl.com/ylpc8jk>

      <http://tinyurl.com/yek97my>

      > There's no mention of the cut of the shirt, so we
      > don't know if it was the horizontal poncho cut

      A modern recreation:

      <http://tinyurl.com/yeywk33>

      ... whose design may not be faithful to the early 19th century.

    • Art
      Message 71 of 71 , Feb 25, 2013
        Somewhere in this thread "goral" mountaineers hats are mentioned. Just recently through a Facebook Friend in Slovakia I got myself one of these black hats decorated with shells, imitation shells of course. The hat was medium price and cost 20 Euros plus only 7 Euros to mail and it came within 6 days. These hats as well as "bavarian" hats can cost four or five times as much here. I will be wearing it with my embroidered Rusyn shirt on the last day of skiing here when everyone wears "costumes on the slopes.