New genealogy software

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 28, 2009
      Has anyone worked with Family Tree Maker 2010 Essentials or Family Tree Maker 2010 Deluxe genealogy software? I've kept track of the info I've found on paper, but it's now gotten too confusing (especially with first names repeated so often in families). We're going to get a laptop, so I'll be able to take it with me to the Family History Center and enter the info directly.

    • MaryLou
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 28, 2009
        I bought the newest version and thankfully it fixed some of problems I had
        with the 2009 version. I like it--very easy to use and has many options
        especially for printing charts.
        MaryLou

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 29, 2009
          I would like to hear more about this program (Family Tree Maker) as well. Is it better than previous versions? Can data from other programs be imported into it? I've used Ultimate Family Tree (no longer updated or supported) for maybe 10 years and I'd like to move all my data into a better program. I've often read that The Master Genealogist is the best genealogy program out there, but also that it has a steep learning curve.
          Dennis

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "MaryLou" <mlvc@...> wrote:

          > I bought the newest version and thankfully it fixed some of problems I had
          > with the 2009 version. I like it--very easy to use and has many options
          > especially for printing charts.
          > MaryLou

        • Margo Smith
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 29, 2009
            Does anyone who uses Family Tree Maker 2010 find that it accepts Slovak diacritics?  I have several older versions of FTM and find it less than totally acceptable for Slovak diacritics.  My oldest version, which must be from about 2002, was the best for the diacritics and I could cut and paste from Microsoft Word all Slovak diacritics except c (hacek).  It also printed custom descent charts on 1 8-1/2 x 11 page.  FTM from 2008 accepts fewer diacritics -- and I have been unable to get it to print descent charts on 1 page.  I have contacted FTM more than once and have been told that it does not support Slovak diacritics.

            My next plan is to change my keyboard from English to Slovak and see if FTM will accept the diacritics that way -- but I got derailed by Christmas activities.

            Margo

            ________________________________
            I would like to hear more about this program (Family Tree Maker) as well. Is it better than previous versions? Can data from other programs be imported into it? I've used Ultimate Family Tree (no longer updated or supported) for maybe 10 years and I'd like to move all my data into a better program. I've often read that The Master Genealogist is the best genealogy program out there, but also that it has a steep learning curve.
            Dennis

            --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, "MaryLou" <mlvc@...> wrote:

            > I bought the newest version and thankfully it fixed some of problems I had
            > with the 2009 version. I like it--very easy to use and has many options
            > especially for printing charts.
            > MaryLou

          • CurtB
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 29, 2009
              Dennis,
              The new version of Family Tree Maker is back to the excellence of previous versions. The second to last version was the one panned by so many users.

              Can data be imported? Yes, but same as any genealogical program, one must first export data from whatever program you use into a gedcom format. It is that file that you import into Family Tree Maker. Almost all genealogical programs have some individual quircky usages that may not export into standard gedcom. One problem that is a common problem, is when people have a non-marriage relationship that produces a child. Each program treats this differently and often cannot export data properly as a gedcom. Also, if you have photos or images in your program, they will not export, as they are not part of gedcom standards.

              One really big shortcoming with Family Tree Maker for anyone doing Slovak genealogy is that it is not unicode compliant. That is, it is fine for English words, but cannot accept, display, or print most foreign diacritics. I have spoken to their administrators and they tell me they have no intention of doing so in the near future. They do not accept the diacritics, and certainly no foreign characters, like Rusyn, Ukrainian, or Greek, even in their note fields or citations of sources.

              I used FTM for a number of years, but finally gave up on it as I had too much information that required the diacritics, and wanted to add notes and citations in other languages.

              I exported my data as gedcom and I moved to Ancestral Quest, the new windows version of PAF. It is almost as elegant as FTM, and accepts full Unicode anywhere in the program. I just added a footnote for a source in Hebrew and it did just fine.

              Curt B.

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 29, 2009
                Margo,
                FTM has gotten worse about the diacritics. A Slovak keyboard does not help. There are a few tricky ways to get diacritics or foreign characters to appear on screen, but FTM will never print or export such information. A real shortcoming.

                There is an ok article in Wikipedia titled Comparison of Genealogy Software. On the third and final chart (first column) they list whether a a program accepts Unicode standards or not.

                Master Genealogist is also still not Unicode compliant.

                Curt B.

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 29, 2009
                  Thanks loads, Curt, for your speedy reply, even if your news feels like the last nail in the coffin.  I will check out the Wikipedia article you mention.  I find it hard to believe that FTM does not support all foreign diacritics and character sets.  After all, the vast majority of us originally come from a location where diacritics of some kind are used.

                  Margo

                  ________________________________
                  FTM has gotten worse about the diacritics. A Slovak keyboard does not help. There are a few tricky ways to get diacritics or foreign characters to appear on screen, but FTM will never print or export such information. A real shortcoming.

                  There is an ok article in Wikipedia titled Comparison of Genealogy Software. On the third and final chart (first column) they list whether a a program accepts Unicode standards or not.

                  Master Genealogist is also still not Unicode compliant.

                  Curt B.

                  --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, Margo Smith <margolane61@ ...> wrote:

                  > Does anyone who uses Family Tree Maker 2010 find that it accepts Slovak diacritics?  I have several older versions of FTM and find it less than totally acceptable for Slovak diacritics.  My oldest version, which must be from about 2002, was the best for the diacritics and I could cut and paste from Microsoft Word all Slovak diacritics except c (hacek).  It also printed custom descent charts on 1 8-1/2 x 11 page.  FTM from 2008 accepts fewer diacritics -- and I have been unable to get it to print descent charts on 1 page.  I have contacted FTM more than once and have been told that it does not support Slovak diacritics.
                  >
                  > My next plan is to change my keyboard from English to Slovak and see if FTM will accept the diacritics that way -- but I got derailed by Christmas activities.
                  >
                  > Margo
                  >

                  > ____________ _________ _________ __

                • William C. Wormuth
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 29, 2009
                    Diacritics:

                    A bit off the subject but does everyone know that we can read emails from Slovakia by clicking "View", going down to, "Character encoding" the clicking on, Unicode(UTF-8).

                    I can't remember but I think you have to "select" the entire message, (blue it all)0

                    Vilo

                    Perhaps you could contact the FTM Customer Service for advice. Even though the answer might be no your question may be recorded by them for further changes to the program.

                    Vilo

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 29, 2009
                      Off subject: Who are the Parents of the new bundle of joy, Adamko???

                      Vilo

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 29, 2009
                        Yes, I have already contacted FTM two or three times over the past 2 years.  Their answer is always no.  Two additional versions of FTM have come out since I contacted them, so I guess they have no intention of making this change.

                        Margo

                        ________________________________

                      • cerrunos1@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 29, 2009
                          Vilo, predsa to sme my, Ben a Milka! Another Slovak fujarista born!
                          Ben

                          From: "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@...>
                          Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:55:01
                          To: <Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com>

                          Off subject: Who are the Parents of the new bundle of joy, Adamko???

                          Vilo

                          ________________________________
                          Thanks loads, Curt, for your speedy reply, even if your news feels like the last nail in the coffin. I will check out the Wikipedia article you mention. I find it hard to believe that FTM does not support all foreign diacritics and character sets. After all, the vast majority of us originally come from a location where diacritics of some kind are used.

                          Margo

                          ________________________________
                          FTM has gotten worse about the diacritics. A Slovak keyboard does not help. There are a few tricky ways to get diacritics or foreign characters to appear on screen, but FTM will never print or export such information. A real shortcoming.

                          There is an ok article in Wikipedia titled Comparison of Genealogy Software. On the third and final chart (first column) they list whether a a program accepts Unicode standards or not.

                          Master Genealogist is also still not Unicode compliant.

                          Curt B.

                          --- In Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com, Margo Smith <margolane61@ ...> wrote:

                          > Does anyone who uses Family Tree Maker 2010 find that it accepts Slovak diacritics? I have several older versions of FTM and find it less than totally acceptable for Slovak diacritics. My oldest version, which must be from about 2002, was the best for the diacritics and I could cut and paste from Microsoft Word all Slovak diacritics except c (hacek). It also printed custom descent charts on 1 8-1/2 x 11 page. FTM from 2008 accepts fewer diacritics -- and I have been unable to get it to print descent charts on 1 page. I have contacted FTM more than once and have been told that it does not support Slovak diacritics.
                          >
                          > My next plan is to change my keyboard from English to Slovak and see if FTM will accept the diacritics that way -- but I got derailed by Christmas activities.
                          >
                          > Margo
                          >

                          >________________________________

                        • Rick Sonzella
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 29, 2009
                            Congrats to the new parents.

                            Rick Sonzella

                            ________________________________

                            From: "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@ymail. com>
                            Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:55:01
                            To: <Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com>

                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 29, 2009
                              The program allows you to import a GEDCOM file so if you can save your
                              research from another program to a GEDCOM, you can use it.
                              I like the integration with Ancestry.com as that is where I began my family
                              research. When I open Family Tree Maker (FTM), I can link directly to
                              sources in ancestry; anyone who uses ancestry.com will find the FTM
                              interface to be very familiar even with the little leaves showing possible
                              sources.

                              The only other programs I have used are Rootsweb and the program you can
                              download from the familysearch.org site. Rootsweb just didn't work well
                              with my computer for some reason and the familysearch.org program was too
                              limited in capabilities. Oh, I had Windows XP when I first bought FTM
                              2009--that version would freeze constantly. Then I upgraded to FTM 2010 and
                              I worked perfectly. Now, I have upgraded my computer to Windows 7 and FTM
                              2010 works with it also.

                              MaryLou
                              I would like to hear more about this program (Family Tree Maker) as well. Is
                              it better than previous versions? Can data from other programs be imported
                              into it? I've used Ultimate Family Tree (no longer updated or supported) for
                              maybe 10 years and I'd like to move all my data into a better program. I've
                              often read that The Master Genealogist is the best genealogy program out
                              there, but also that it has a steep learning curve.
                              Dennis

                              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "MaryLou" <mlvc@...> wrote:

                              > I bought the newest version and thankfully it fixed some of problems I had
                              > with the 2009 version. I like it--very easy to use and has many options
                              > especially for printing charts.
                              > MaryLou

                            • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 29, 2009
                                I use Brother's Keeper and have been generally satisfied. I don't use diacritics in my notes so I don't know if it supports them. However, the program is available is several languages including Slovak. There is a trial version you can get for free by downloading it from their website.

                                Michelle Maco Mader
                                Cleveland, Ohio USA

                              • dragansk
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 29, 2009
                                  Thanks for the good info, Curt. I never realized that some programs accept/display diacritics. Ultimate Family Tree doesn't, but it's older anyway. I remember that there were issues with UFT even with pulling in the information via a gedcom. The example re the non-marriage relationship issue -- if that's the case with FTM -- doesn't sound good. Maybe I'll look into Ancestral Quest. I tried PAF years ago, but I don't think it had much to offer back then. Thanks again.
                                  Dennis

                                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" <curt67boc@...> wrote:

                                  > Dennis,
                                  > The new version of Family Tree Maker is back to the excellence of previous versions. The second to last version was the one panned by so many users.
                                  >
                                  > Can data be imported? Yes, but same as any genealogical program, one must first export data from whatever program you use into a gedcom format. It is that file that you import into Family Tree Maker. Almost all genealogical programs have some individual quircky usages that may not export into standard gedcom. One problem that is a common problem, is when people have a non-marriage relationship that produces a child. Each program treats this differently and often cannot export data properly as a gedcom. Also, if you have photos or images in your program, they will not export, as they are not part of gedcom standards.
                                  >
                                  > One really big shortcoming with Family Tree Maker for anyone doing Slovak genealogy is that it is not unicode compliant. That is, it is fine for English words, but cannot accept, display, or print most foreign diacritics. I have spoken to their administrators and they tell me they have no intention of doing so in the near future. They do not accept the diacritics, and certainly no foreign characters, like Rusyn, Ukrainian, or Greek, even in their note fields or citations of sources.
                                  >
                                  > I used FTM for a number of years, but finally gave up on it as I had too much information that required the diacritics, and wanted to add notes and citations in other languages.
                                  >
                                  > I exported my data as gedcom and I moved to Ancestral Quest, the new windows version of PAF. It is almost as elegant as FTM, and accepts full Unicode anywhere in the program. I just added a footnote for a source in Hebrew and it did just fine.
                                  >

                                  > Curt B.
                                  >

                                  > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "dragansk" <dragansk@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I would like to hear more about this program (Family Tree Maker) as well. Is it better than previous versions? Can data from other programs be imported into it? I've used Ultimate Family Tree (no longer updated or supported) for maybe 10 years and I'd like to move all my data into a better program. I've often read that The Master Genealogist is the best genealogy program out there, but also that it has a steep learning curve.
                                  > > Dennis
                                • William C. Wormuth
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 29, 2009
                                    Dear Milka and Ben,

                                    God Bless you both.

                                    I do feel sorry for your "Older Boy" because he will no longer be "spoiled".

                                    Oh well! I know he will be happy with the new baby.

                                    I am seriously happy for all three of you. May your tribe Increase.

                                    For most of my life I was surrounded by small children but now we have none in the immediate family and without them, the fun of the Holy Days is not there. Only the prayers.

                                    God love you and may your boys be good muzikanty.

                                    Vilo

                                    ________________________________

                                    From: "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@ymail. com>
                                    Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:55:01
                                    To: <Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com>

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 30, 2009
                                      The word < muzikanty > reminds me of a Slovak idiom I heard years ago,
                                      from an older Slovak gentleman. When a brawl broke out at a dance or
                                      party where musicians were playing, the musicians were neutral parties
                                      and tried to stay out of the fray. "Ja nic~, ja muzikant!" (lit.: "I'm
                                      nothing, I'm a musician"), the Slovak equivalent of "Don't shoot me, I'm
                                      only the piano player!"

                                      All opinions my own

                                      From: "William C. Wormuth" <senzus@ymail. com>
                                      Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:55:01
                                      To: <Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com>

                                      wrote:

                                      > Does anyone who uses Family Tree Maker 2010 find that it accepts
                                      Slovak diacritics? I have several older versions of FTM and find it
                                      less than totally acceptable for Slovak diacritics. My oldest version,
                                      which must be from about 2002, was the best for the diacritics and I
                                      could cut and paste from Microsoft Word all Slovak diacritics except c
                                      (hacek). It also printed custom descent charts on 1 8-1/2 x 11 page.Â