Re: [Slovak-World] Re: A suffix added to family names

    Message 1 of 45 , Dec 3, 2009
      I wonder if this was an ending used in the eastern dialects. From what part of Slovakia did your family come?

      All opinions my own

      >>> William F Brna <wfbrna@...> 12/3/2009 10:30 AM >>>
      Helen,

      When I was growing up, there was a family named "Fetsko" in the town
      where I grew up. The mother was my mother's friend and was known as
      "Fetskan~a".

      Bill Brna

      On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 10:06:44 -0500 "Helen Fedor" <hfed@...> writes:

      I remember my mom (Mrs. Fedor) being referred to, and called, very
      casually, by a friend of the family "Fedoran~a". I also heard my mom
      refer to his wife (Mrs. Hlebasko [Hlebas~ko]) as Hlebas~kan~a. I don't
      think I heard that suffex used by any other family though.

      All opinions my own

      >>> "votrubam" <votrubam@...> 12/2/2009 9:23 PM >>>
      > she hated that "ova" thing

      As Julie implied, it sounds to most Slovaks today as if an American nun
      hated being called that and insisted on being called a monk. But there is
      a tiny group of Slovak women who do not use it.

      > totally guessing here) that it came about with communism

      It became formalized and widespread, but not mandatory, after 1918. The
      Slovaks distinguished women's and men's last names before, the ending -ka
      was most common for women (there were others), it is still today in
      informal conversations, but the same last name, no -ova, was used for
      both genders in formal situations towards the end of the 19th century.
      There's a bit more on that here:

      <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/sstopics/lawsonlangaugeinslovakia.html>

      ... click on the link that belongs to the year 1995, the passage then
      starts on page 5.

      The smiles with Julie's last name came precisely because when applied to
      a woman without the -ova ending, the last name, which happens to end in
      -ka, sounds like what a woman from a related family might be called
      informally when she's not present, somewhat comparable to the English
      "that Jones woman."

      Message 45 of 45 , Oct 16, 2010
        I selling books : PETROVEC (1745-1995); SLOVACI VO SVETE; Nazvy obci Slovenskej republiky...

        Jan from Zvolen
        slovensko00@ yahoo.com