[Slovak-World] Re: A suffix added to family names

    Message 1 of 45 , Dec 3, 2009
      I remember my mom (Mrs. Fedor) being referred to, and called, very casually, by a friend of the family "Fedoran~a". I also heard my mom refer to his wife (Mrs. Hlebasko [Hlebas~ko]) as Hlebas~kan~a. I don't think I heard that suffex used by any other family though.

      All opinions my own

      >>> "votrubam" <votrubam@...> 12/2/2009 9:23 PM >>>
      > she hated that "ova" thing

      As Julie implied, it sounds to most Slovaks today as if an American nun hated being called that and insisted on being called a monk. But there is a tiny group of Slovak women who do not use it.

      > totally guessing here) that it came about with communism

      It became formalized and widespread, but not mandatory, after 1918. The Slovaks distinguished women's and men's last names before, the ending -ka was most common for women (there were others), it is still today in informal conversations, but the same last name, no -ova, was used for both genders in formal situations towards the end of the 19th century. There's a bit more on that here:

      <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/sstopics/lawsonlangaugeinslovakia.html>

      ... click on the link that belongs to the year 1995, the passage then starts on page 5.

      The smiles with Julie's last name came precisely because when applied to a woman without the -ova ending, the last name, which happens to end in -ka, sounds like what a woman from a related family might be called informally when she's not present, somewhat comparable to the English "that Jones woman."

      Martin
    • john aa
      Message 45 of 45 , Oct 16, 2010
        I selling books : PETROVEC (1745-1995); SLOVACI VO SVETE; Nazvy obci Slovenskej republiky...

        Jan from Zvolen
        slovensko00@ yahoo.com