Fw: RE: [Slovak-World]Mitro- A suffix added to family names

  • George Sirko
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2009
      The OVA on the end of a Surname means Female. Correct me if I'm wrong.
      George

      From: Julie Michutka <jmm@pathbridge. net <mailto:jmm% 40pathbridge. net> >
      To: Slovak-World@ yahoogroups. com <mailto:Slovak- World%40yahoogro ups.com>
      Date: Wednesday, December 2, 2009, 1:25 PM

      Hi Dorothy,

      I will just add to what the others have explained, that on my first
      trip to Slovakia, when I introduced myself to a distant relative as
      "Michutka," he quietly snickered. As I learned more about the
      language, I realized this probably sounded as if I, a woman, were
      introducing myself as "Mr. Michutka." Now when I go to Slovakia (or
      email someone who doesn't already know me, eg setting up hotel or
      penzion reservations) , I use the feminine form of my name with -ova.

      Julie Michutka (aka Mic~utkova)
      jmm@pathbridge. net