Re: [Slovak-World] A suffix added to family names

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 45 , Dec 2, 2009

      Julie, I can add another funny to your comment -- my grandmother's surname was Mitro.

      When I went to Slovakia in 2006, the cousins kept saying she was Mitrova -- and I kept insisting that she hated that "ova" thing -- not sure, but I'm guessing (totally guessing here) that it came about with communism or maybe another of the many takeovers -- but she refused to accept the ova thing -- and they thought I was lying or nuts when I said no, Mitro, not Mitrova.

      Anyhow, for whatever that was worth, there it is.

      Caye

      Message 45 of 45 , Oct 16, 2010
        I selling books : PETROVEC (1745-1995); SLOVACI VO SVETE; Nazvy obci Slovenskej republiky...

        Jan from Zvolen
        slovensko00@ yahoo.com