Re: [Slovak-World] A suffix added to family names

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 45 , Dec 2, 2009
      Hi Dorothy,

      I will just add to what the others have explained, that on my first
      trip to Slovakia, when I introduced myself to a distant relative as
      "Michutka," he quietly snickered. As I learned more about the
      language, I realized this probably sounded as if I, a woman, were
      introducing myself as "Mr. Michutka." Now when I go to Slovakia (or
      email someone who doesn't already know me, eg setting up hotel or
      penzion reservations), I use the feminine form of my name with -ova.

      Julie Michutka (aka Mic~utkova)
      jmm@...

      On Dec 2, 2009, at 1:52 PM, d22fitts wrote:

      > I have been corresponding with Slovakia and find that on some of the
      > last name has the letters "ova" after some of the names. The place
      > is Osturna and this could be something that is not used in the
      > Slovak language. Can someone tell me what this means. An example is
      > the name Jasencak written in the next generation as Jasencakova.
      > Thanks
      > Dorothy
    • john aa
      Message 45 of 45 , Oct 16, 2010
        I selling books : PETROVEC (1745-1995); SLOVACI VO SVETE; Nazvy obci Slovenskej republiky...

        Jan from Zvolen
        slovensko00@ yahoo.com