Re: [Slovak-World] A suffix added to family names

    Message 1 of 45 , Dec 2, 2009
      "-ova" is the feminine ending for some Slovak last names (it depends on the name, but that's a whole other discussion). If someone's name ends in -ova, that someone is a female. My name is Fedor, but in Slovakia it would be Fedorova.

      All opinions my own

      >>> "d22fitts" <dfitts22@...> 12/2/2009 1:52 PM >>>
      I have been corresponding with Slovakia and find that on some of the last name has the letters "ova" after some of the names. The place is Osturna and this could be something that is not used in the Slovak language. Can someone tell me what this means. An example is the name Jasencak written in the next generation as Jasencakova.
      Thanks
      Dorothy
    • john aa
      Message 45 of 45 , Oct 16, 2010
        I selling books : PETROVEC (1745-1995); SLOVACI VO SVETE; Nazvy obci Slovenskej republiky...

        Jan from Zvolen
        slovensko00@ yahoo.com