Re: [Slovak-World] Town Names

  • Lubos Brieda
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
      Liptovský means "of Liptov". Liptov is a region in northern Slovakia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liptov. Mikuláš is Slovak for Nicolas. So, Liptovský Mikuláš means "Liptov Nicolas" or "Nicolas from Liptov". I hope this helps!

      -- Lubos Brieda --
      Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com
      hikes and travel: www.iamlubos.com

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
        I think this will explain for you.

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
          Lubos~

          Great minds often run in the same Channel!

          Vili

          Can anyone tell me what Liptovsky means and why do a number of towns have this as part of their name? Also, I have been assuming that to say one is from Lipto is to say one is from Liptovsky Mikulas, am I on the right track about this? My Grandmother' s family name was Benikovsky and they were from Liptovsky , is there any relationship between the ovsky ending in the town's name and the family name? Thanks for any help you can offer. Phoenix

        • Phoenix Benikowsky
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
            Thanks for your help folks. Much appreciated, Phoenix