Town Names

  • phoenixbenikowsky
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
      Can anyone tell me what Liptovsky means and why do a number of towns have this as part of their name? Also, I have been assuming that to say one is from Lipto is to say one is from Liptovsky Mikulas, am I on the right track about this? My Grandmother's family name was Benikovsky and they were from Liptovsky , is there any relationship between the ovsky ending in the town's name and the family name? Thanks for any help you can offer. Phoenix
    • Lubos Brieda
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
        Liptovský means "of Liptov". Liptov is a region in northern Slovakia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liptov. Mikuláš is Slovak for Nicolas. So, Liptovský Mikuláš means "Liptov Nicolas" or "Nicolas from Liptov". I hope this helps!

        -- Lubos Brieda --
        Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com
        hikes and travel: www.iamlubos.com

        ________________________________
        Can anyone tell me what Liptovsky means and why do a number of towns have this as part of their name? Also, I have been assuming that to say one is from Lipto is to say one is from Liptovsky Mikulas, am I on the right track about this? My Grandmother's family name was Benikovsky and they were from Liptovsky , is there any relationship between the ovsky ending in the town's name and the family name? Thanks for any help you can offer. Phoenix

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
          I think this will explain for you.

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2009
            Lubos~

            Great minds often run in the same Channel!

            Vili

            Can anyone tell me what Liptovsky means and why do a number of towns have this as part of their name? Also, I have been assuming that to say one is from Lipto is to say one is from Liptovsky Mikulas, am I on the right track about this? My Grandmother' s family name was Benikovsky and they were from Liptovsky , is there any relationship between the ovsky ending in the town's name and the family name? Thanks for any help you can offer. Phoenix

          • Phoenix Benikowsky
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2009
              Thanks for your help folks. Much appreciated, Phoenix