Re:New file uploaded to Slovak-World

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 24, 2009
      Nick:

      Back in the 1990's we did a site for our ancestral village
      with the help of a cousin, Charles Stanislaw.

      http://www.iarelative.com/porac/

      Over the years we have reached thousands of Porac people.

      I hope you have the same success we had.

      Greg

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "NJ SEKELA" <nick@...> wrote:

      > I wanted to make an announcement of the launching of the site about my
      > ancestral village in Slovakia.
      >

      > It is in the founding stages, but I have posted the site
      > http://www.certizne.com and am hoping that others will add geneological and
      > historical information that they might have regarding the village.
      >

      > Nick Sekela

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 24, 2009
        hi Nick - this is super!!!!! it looks really nice - I have seven inidividuals in Slovak Pride data base who list about a dozen surnames in Certizne - if you would like to be in touch let me know. I also knew a museum director in Humenne who has roots in that village, another good contact.

        What a great idea! Many villages have sites but rarely in English.
        Good Luck!

        helene

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 30, 2009
          Helene--It was great to meet you in Pittsburgh. Tom has had some unexpected health issues (blood clots in lungs)that may prevent our travel to Slovakia next summer. Will you be planning a trip to the Spis area the following year? I have learned more surnames --from Lackova--Schmidt, Roth, Muller, Osvald (Oswald) through the LDS church records. Thanks,

          Allison J. Batchelor

          7701 Angel Ridge Road
          Athens, Ohio 45701-9602
          (740) 594-4567 phone
          (740) 594-4568 fax

          To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 1, 2009
            Hi Allison, Pretty sure we will be goimg in 2011. Thanks for the new surnames - have you contacted the Slovak Pride listers i sent you - i am sure you are all connected. Lackova was famed for basket making!

            helene

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 4, 2011
              Vilo

              Thank y ou for that information. I don't think many people take that into consideration or think it a possibility when researching. I know I would never look for the name Paulov/Pavlov, but now I will. Very deceiving and something everyone should keep in the back of their head when researching. Thanks for the phonetic spelling of your names too, that helped alot.

              Have a good night!

              Peggy

              Apr 4, 2011 06:12:45 PM, Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com wrote:

              In Kúty, (Zahorie, western Slovakia), we have many families, whose names are the
              same but who are not related. I The distant past, identities were made by
              applying a "nickname", known to us as "prezvisko" [prehz-vee-skoh].

              My grandmother was Polák - Lulut [Poh-lahk - Luh-luht] and her mother was
              Valachovic~ - Kuc`erka [Vahlah- kho- veec h - Kooh-chehrr-kah].

              This can be very confusing to people because this info is sometimes included in
              the original manifests.on Ellis Island.

              Z Bohom,

              Vilo

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 4, 2011
                Peggy,

                Paulov and Pavlov are the same name. Most probably, the "u" came in because
                Hungarians used Latin in Official documents. Additionally, it YThe "u" could
                have been a "v' but misread as a "u".

                Your Grandmother Maria's last name was Papinc~ak, (a little "v" over the c),
                [Pah-peen-chah-k], Hungarian cs has a ch sound.

                Hello to my old friend, Joe Armata and where is our Fujarista,

                Z Bohom,

                Vilo

                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 5, 2011
                  Yes.  Where has Ben been?  And Helen?  @ LoC?