RE: [Slovak-World] Oblatky/oplatky

  • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
    Message 1 of 50 , Nov 6, 2009
      Obla'tka is what appears in my dictionary, too (published by Hippocrene Books, NY, 2006).

      Michelle Maco Mader
      Cleveland, Ohio USA

      This is interesting. I had never given this distinction much thought, but
      looked up the definition in my most contemporary slovnik (published by
      Slovenske' Pedagogicke' Nakladatel'stvo, Bratislava, 1997), and find that
      obla'tka is the version that appears, even though that is not the spelling I am
      most familiar with. Are we once again in "dialect" territory?

      B. J.

      _________________________
      B. J. Licko-Keel (BJLK@...<mailto:BJLK%40aol.com>)

      In a message dated 11/5/2009 11:39:17 A.M. Central Standard Time,
      wfbrna@...<mailto:wfbrna%40juno.com> writes:

      Helen,

      I can't cite any Czech dictionary, but when I was in Slovakia in 2001, I
      took part in a discussion about the Slovak that I was taught by my
      parents and today's Slovak. I was told that Czech was a "harsher"
      language than Slovak and that "p" in Slovak frequently appeared as "b" in
      Czech in similar words. Oplatky/oblatky was used as an example. This
      could have been idiomatic or a local dialect version.

      Incidently, I was taught that the word was oplatka, with oplatky being
      the plural form. The Slovensko-Anglicky Frazeologicky Slovnik by Jozef
      J. Konus~ and printed by the Slovak Catholic Sokol in 1969, lists oplatka
      as the Slovak version.

      Bill Brna

      On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 11:51:36 -0500 "Helen Fedor" <hfed@...<mailto:hfed%40loc.gov>> writes:

      Sorry, Bill, but the Czech word is 'oplatka'. The dictionaries that gave
      both words were Slovak ones.

      All opinions my own.

      >>> William F Brna <wfbrna@...<mailto:wfbrna%40juno.com>> 11/5/2009 11:29 AM >>>
      Helen,

      "Oblatky" is Czech.

      Bill Brna

      On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 09:42:49 -0500 "Helen Fedor" <hfed@...<mailto:hfed%40loc.gov>> writes:

      A couple of dictionaries that I checked give 'oblatky' and 'oplatky' as
      variants of the same word, and both mean wafer or host (religious). Is
      there any subtle distinction between the two words or any connotations
      that attach themselves?

      All mistakes and opinions my own

    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 50 of 50 , Nov 9, 2009